We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

Would like to go to brooks falls and also see glacier falling in water. Any hints?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Were you planning on doing to Brooks on a day trip, or camping overnight? The best time for Brooks is July, but there aren't many camping spots left, so if you want one, do hurry. I believe the Lodge is full, but you can try checking for a cancellation.

The day trips are available in July with outfitters out of Anchorage (such as Rusts, Regal Air) and out of Homer (Bald Mt. Air).

September is the other month that is good for Brooks, though few bears are at the falls at that time. They're more spread out in the river. I'm not aware of any day trips to Brooks in September, but there may be.

Chunks of glaciers falling into water is known as calving. Where in Alaska will you be going? If you're near Anchorage, a handy place to see calving is on an afternoon glacier trip out of Whittier, about an hour's drive south. You can also get there and back on the train if you don't want to drive. If you want more of a chance to see wildlife too, take 26 Glaciers; if you'd rather spend more time near glaciers waiting for them to calve, take Major Marine. You can also travel down to Seward and take a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise at least 6 hrs. long, which spends about half an hour near a tidewater (calving) glacier.

Hope this helps.

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

Thanks, I am thinking of going next year 2011 July. I would only do a day trip to Brooks. I guess my goals would be to:

1) see bears

2) See a glacier clave

3) See northern lights (if possible/lucky)

4) See wildlife (maybe a whale)

5) anything else you can recommend

ThAnKs again!!!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

How many days do you have for your trip? Would you be interested in hiking on a glacier (it's not hard unless you have a disability)?

The only activity you won't be able to do on your list is see the Northern Lights. It doesn't get dark enough in July to see them.

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

Flexible on days, want to be in mid July 2011. would do a day trip to Brooks Falls anything else is extra, so give any advise you like:)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

I need more info. Do you mean a 1 week trip? 2 weeks? Longer?

And I assume you'll be renting a car or RV? If so, how long a drive in a day is too long?

Would you rather just concentrate on the peninsula (Anchorage, Seward, Whittier, Homer) or go up to Denali and/or Fairbanks?

What other interests do you have: hiking, fishing, kayaking, museums, Riverboat in Fairbanks, whitewater rafting, flightseeing Denali, goldpanning, flying up to Nome or Barrow, etc?

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

I'd probably keep it around a week (but am flexible) Yes, i'll need to rent a car and maybe some cheap places to stay. Driving long hours is fine with me, do it all the tiime.Besides the things i mentioned in earlier post, i just like to look and take photos. My son may be interested in goldpannng (never really heard about it). I if i see alot of bears, and glacier calving, maybe even a whale i'd be thrilled.

thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

You might want to give the age of your son too. That will help. Some activities are not suited for very young children.

As you can see, the more info we have, the easier it is to assist you :-)

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

son is 13

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

Well, your son will be 14 by the time of the trip, and I’m pretty sure that will be old enough to go on a bear-viewing tour. However, your first assignment is to find that out for sure. One thing’s for sure: arranging things this far in advance will ensure you get the day you want for the tour (you won’t have to pay yet; they set their prices around the beginning of January, but will have you down on their list) and also ensure that you get a great deal on the rental car. Book that as soon as you can (usually 11 months in advance) for the very best deals.

Here's what I came up with:

Day 1 – arrive Anchorage, overnight. Don’t forget you have a 4 hour timezone difference to get used to.

Day 2 – Pick up snacks/supplies & drive to Homer (5 hrs, but will take all day with stops such as Potter Marsh, Beluga Pt., Wildlife Conservation Center: http://alaska.org/driving/homer-drive.htm ) . If your son would be happy with just a few minutes of goldpanning, stop at Indian Valley Mine (it's on the link--you can also buy “seeded” pokes to use later or take home); if you think he’d like to do more, stop at Crow Creek Mine near Girdwood (after they teach you how to goldpan, you can wander off down the stream to try your luck. Don’t expect to find much if anything in the stream, though, it’s well picked-over. Mostly it's just for the fun of it.)

If the weather is nice, you might stop just past the town of Cooper Landing to watch the “combat” fishing on Russian River (great photo op) and/or do the easy hike to Russian River Falls (2 hr. roundtrip, well-maintained path). You can watch the salmon jumping up the falls. Might see a bear either at the falls or near the river. Be sure to stop at Anchor Pt. for a view of 5 volcanoes if it’s clear out. Since 4 of them are active, there’s a chance you’ll see steam from at least one of them. Last year Augustine steamed off and on the entire time I was in Homer. I’d never seen an active volcano before, so that was neat! Of course, we don’t want it TOO active, as in when Mt. Redoubt erupted several times last spring… It's behaved itself since then. Overnight Homer.

Day 3 – bear-viewing at Brooks Falls with Bald Mt. Air. Be sure to have your cameras handy on the plane, because the scenery going over to Katmai is great. You want the bear-viewing on the first full day in Homer so that if it is cancelled due to weather, you can try again tomorrow and switch those activities to today. Overnight Homer.

Day 4 – Activities in Homer, such as Pratt Museum (last year they had great films on bears and on the Exxon Valdez oil spill & clean up), explore the Spit, tidepooling, walk along Bishop’s Beach, Danny J to Halibut Cove (the afternoon trip includes a stop at Gull Island), Rainbow Tour or ferry to Seldovia for the day, check with one of the water taxis such as Mako’s to see what short trips still have room that day, etc. Overnight Homer.

Day 5 – Drive to Seward (4 hrs). Sealife Center, walk to the face of Exit Glacier (1 hr, easy path), maybe Ididaride sled dog tour & dog cart ride. Overnight Seward.

Day 6 – either 10 a.m. to 5:30 pm Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise with Majormarine, or Northwestern Fjords tour from 9 to 6. The 6 hour cruises have only a 50 to 60% chance of seeing humpbacks, while the longer ones give you a better chance to come across whales since you're on the water so much longer. Still, no guarantees. Some trips they just can't be found. BTW, these cruises also spend a bit of time near a calving glacier. As well, they go into open ocean for maybe 20 minutes as they round Aialik Cape, and that can get a bit rough, so be sure to take seasickness meds prior to boarding (consult your pharmacist or doctor). Overnight Seward.

Day 7 – Early drive to Whittier (2 hrs., but allow more for traffic etc.) to arrive no later than the 11:30 a.m. Tunnel opening (Tunnel is open for only 15 min. per hour, on the half-hour). Afternoon glacier cruise with Major Marine. If you have time before or after the cruise, you can do an easy 1 hour roundtrip hike from the Portage Glacier parking lot to actually walk on Byron Glacier a bit and look for iceworms. Drive back to Anchorage (1 hr after you get through the Tunnel) for late flight home.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

10. Re: How where to see glacier falling in water for tour/picture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 05:18