We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has happend to all the flights?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane, australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What has happend to all the flights?

Hi all

We have booked in our trip on Friday to come to America from Australia. We are hoping to book in a flight from Seattle to Anchorage on the 23 May (evening flight) and we need to leave from Anchorage late on the 28 May to fly to Chicago.

There are still a few flights from Seattle to Anchorage - but NO flights from Anchorage to Chicago, or REALLY expensive ones. How likely is it that they will release more flights in the future for this route? If we can't get that flight, we can't stop by Alaska :((((

Jazzo

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

That flight from Chicago to Anchorage is definitely one that sells out fast. The cheaper tickets sell first and then the highest priced ones are all that are left. I've been told by Alaska Air that they only have one flight a day from Anchorage to Chicago and back again (leaving ANC around 8 am, getting into ORD at about 5pm and leaving ORD again at 6pm). Not sure if other airlines have flights going from Chicago to Anchorage or now. I thought I remembered one of the other airlines were adding that flight, but I'm not sure if they were going to start it until June 1st.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

Delta has flights with stops to Chicago on your date between $300-500 OW. Alaska Air has flights for OW $450 or so non-stop and with stops. You are traveling on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend so it is not surprising that flights are sold out especially if AK Air only has one non-stop flight a day. You mat try a RT ticket SEA-ANC-SEA and then a OW from SEA to ORD. It may work out cheaper that way.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

You can get a flight from SEA-ORD(Chicago) for $175 OW on Alaska Air if that helps. Also the same flight is $140 if you can leave SEA on May 29. I used the AK Air Low Fare Calender to find these flights.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 14:16
brisbane, australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

Thanks so much for your replies. I didn't realise it was Memorial Weekend... What to do now! Flights are so expensive. They were expensive when they were $250 I thought!

Basically we planned to arrive from Australia in San Fran, spend 2 days there, fly to Seattle and drive to Vancouver, Banff and Jasper and then back to Seattle (8-10 days). Then fly to Anchorage for 5 days, then on to Chicago.

What about if we flew from San Fran straight to Anchorage - would it be too cold and unpleasant in Alaska at that time? That would be on the 16-21 May. We just want to see wildlife and scenery and we wanted to go as close to June as possible. We were supposed to be in Alaska 23-28 May.. but with the ticket prices, do you suggest we change our itinerary around and go to Alaska first?

Thanks a bunch again!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

You should check flights and prices before you decide what you want to do. Maybe call Alaska Air and see what a SEA-ANC-ORD flight would cost. Priced separately it is about $650 pp on your original dates. I guess I have lived in AK too long because I am so used to these kind of prices just to get to my family on the east coast. I use a lot of FF miles but still pay sometimes and have not flown RT to the east coast for less than $550-600 RT in a very long time.

I took a quick look at flights on your new dates and the prices are not much better $600-700 for RT SFO-ANC. One way SEA-ANC seems to run around $260 and OW ANC-ORD seems to run about $400. I think anyway you plan this trip you will pay between $600-700.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

Do you have to fly to Chicago? We always fly out of Minneapolis to Anchorage on Delta/Northwest.

7. Re: What has happend to all the flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 06:15