We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which side of the plane is best?

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which side of the plane is best?

Hello.

Hopefully this is not to far out.

IIs there a better side of the plane to possibly see Denali when flying into Anchorage? Will be coming from Atlanta, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Sit on the side facing north (right side going up, left side flying home). But of the 3 times I've flowing into Anchorage, twice it was so cloudy I couldn't see a thing. The last trip, though, it was clear for about the final half hour and I got great views of mountains and glaciers, and yes, also the rare delight of a cloudless Denali welcoming us in the distance!

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Thanks, MM.

I thought that was the case, but so far I am having difficulty getting the seats I wanted.

If I cannot get seats on the right, I was hopeful that at least on the approach, maybe we would circle and at least have the opportunity for a glimpse. Is that a possibility?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Sure it's a possibility. I guess it depends which runway you come in on, and I assume wind direction would play a role in that. My last trip we did come in from the west, so the left side of the plane would have been able to see Denali then.

I have no idea what direction I came in the previous 2 times since all I saw was clouds until I got close to the ground. In fact, it was so cloudy/rainy that I couldn't even see the mountains which surround Anchorage!

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Thanksagain, MM

I do realize that this is all speculation. I like to try to pin down anything that I MIGHT have some control over:-)

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Coming into Anchorage from Outside (the lower 48) you stand only a small chance of seeing Denali, as the mountain is far north and you will be coming from the South East.

HOWEVER ! You should sit on the right side if you can, as on a clear day you will have a flight seeing tour like no other. We have mountain ranges and glaciers over a very large part of the mountains between Juneau and Anchorage, so you stand a good chance of seeing unbelievable ice fields for hundreds of miles, along with Mt St Elias, the second highest mountain in Alaska, and more of the Wrangels and Chugach Mountains.

If you do get stuck on the left side of the aircraft, keep an eye out for Denali as you circle in. Hopefully you will be landing from the west and then the left side will have the view of Denali.

I sent my mom off on a flight home, carefully booked on the left side (coastal, mountain) side of the aircraft on a beautiful and clear day, all set to see these magnificent ice fields. The ignorant stewardess came by and insisted she close her window blind so people could watch some forgettable movie. If anyone is offended by my use of 'ignorant, then know I use it deliberately. The woman was unschooled in the beauty of Alaska or the priorities of life.

In Alaska we are fortunate to fly POSH in the true sense - Port Outbound, Starboard Home bound for the best views.

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Thanks 71.

We do have a left side seat on the way home. Our flight leaves at 9:20pm, on the 9th of Sept., so hopefully I will get to see something. Will there be enough light at that time of year?

I am in total agreement with you. Who could possibly watch anything other than our beautiful Alaska. Ignorance abounds.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

I always opt for a window seat on the "north" side of the plane (right flying up and left flying home) when flying at night as there is an outside chance of seeing the aurora from 35k feet . . . which is very cool! I have some faint photos taken by my crummy point n shoot a couple of winters ago. It's always worth a chance.

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

I don't suppose it will be dark enough flying at 9:20, right?

Edited: 04 April 2010, 21:42
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Sure, especially since the aurora could be visible over canada or wherever the flight path takes you out of Anchorage. According to my notes, sunset will be around 8:37pm local time on 9/10/10 (I'm also up there around the same time as you).

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which side of the plane is best?

Our flight back is thru Minneapolis, so I guess we will be staying pretty far North.