We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV sites in Seaward

Burlington, Vermont
2 posts
Save Topic
RV sites in Seaward

Just wonder if anyone had any suggestions on weather to stay at waterfront park or RENFRO'S LAKESIDE RETREAT rv park.

Thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV sites in Seaward

The waterfront campground has great views, is convenient to everything and there are showers for a nominal fee. I tent camped there last summer and enjoyed being on the water. Saw sea otters and sea lions from the campsite. I plan on camping there this coming summer too. But honestly, the atmosphere, especially in the RV portion, is about a -1 on the scale of 0 to 10. By that I mean, gravel and RV's lined up pretty much one right next to the other. At least on the tent side there are some trees!

And having said that, this is very typical for some of the RV parks I have seen (one somewhere north of Willow on the Parks Highway and one in Valdez are two I saw just in passing - I haven't rented an RV in Alaska yet).

John

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV sites in Seaward

We love the waterfront campground & take our tiny cabover camper there every summer. We back up to the ocean & enjoy the bay views, watch the sea otters floating back & forth in front of us, watch eagles, wander down to watch the big halibut catches come in wander down by the Sea Life Center to watch the sea lions.

If my husband wants to relax in his lawn chair & read the paper, I have a short walk to Resurrect Art for a tea & crumpet. Or I can climb Mt. Marathon. Everything is in easy reach.

I also like wandering along the boardwalk & visit with other travelers from all over who are also out sitting & visiting.

Burlington, Vermont
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RV sites in Seaward

Thank you very much for the info. Has anyone stayed at Primrose or porcupine (in hope) before?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV sites in Seaward

"the RV portion, is about a -1 on the scale of 0 to 10. By that I mean, gravel and RV's lined up pretty much one right next to the other."

I don't think I've EVER disagreed with John before, and he's given me some great advice I followed on our first trip. But we LOVED the Seward waterfront campground in our RV. Although the RV's are pretty close together, I didn't even notice them like I would in a commercial campground. The view out our front was just too spectacular to notice what was on the sides! On our last night we found a spot at the end of the park that was almost secluded (end of August) and could not have asked for anything better! It's the only campground I plan on a second trip to on our upcoming trip.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV sites in Seaward

>>I don't think I've EVER disagreed with John before, and he's given me some great advice I followed on our first trip. But we LOVED the Seward waterfront campground in our RV. Although the RV's are pretty close together, I didn't even notice them like I would in a commercial campground. The view out our front was just too spectacular to notice what was on the sides! On our last night we found a spot at the end of the park that was almost secluded (end of August) and could not have asked for anything better! It's the only campground I plan on a second trip to on our upcoming trip.

Well, I am not so sure that we really disagree. I did mention that the campground has great views (you said that too). I said that the atmosphere was zilch, and defined that by meaning gravel and RV's lined up pretty much one next to the other). You also said that the RV's are pretty close together. I said that is very typical for other campgrounds in Alaska and the other two I mentioned are both private/commercial campgrounds.

So, really, we both agree :-)

I also said that I am returning to the waterfront campground this summer (as did you). So if I am going back, it can't be THAT bad! I just wanted the poster to know that the view is great but "atmosphere" (meaning more to me than just view) is nothing special. I stayed in a private campground a couple of miles from Valdez last year called the Valdez Glacier Campground. I am not sure if they had RV hookups since I was tent camping (but I don't think so). And they didn't have showers (harbormaster's office had showers so that was fine). But each campsite was surrounded by trees. Several "loops" for more privacy. Very quiet and peaceful. Granted, no great views (except a nice eagle's nest right in the campground!). But it had much more atmosphere than pretty much any other RV campground I have seen yet in Alaska.

John

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV sites in Seaward

I love both Primrose CG & Porcupine CG. Primrose has the Lost Lake Trail to one of the most beautiful lakes. Even if you just stroll a little bit on it for a taste of the rain forest. Porcupine has the Gull Rock trail along the Turnagain & the Hope Pt. Trail. Get a site overlooking Turnagain Arm if you can.

Shanghai
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: RV sites in Seaward

Very quiet and peaceful.

8. Re: RV sites in Seaward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 04:16