We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Denali to Fairbanks to Matanuska

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
177 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Denali to Fairbanks to Matanuska

After camping in Denali(early July) we are doing a glacier hike at Matanuska the following morning. I have some very heavy photography equipment that I need to ship back after Denali, and was thinking about going to Fairbanks to do this--I'm assuming as a decent sized city they must have a UPS shipping store. I would then continue on to Matanuska.

I'm sure it would be quicker to go south from Denali to Anchorage and then to Matanuska, but I wanted to try a different route to see more of Alaska. So, is my idea possible or is it just too much travel in one day?

Edited: 24 May 2010, 21:15
Alaska Photo Treks
Photography Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Chugach Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Alaska's Finest Tours & Cruises - Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Helicopter Tours
Expeditions Alaska
River Rafting & Tubing, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Denali to Fairbanks to Matanuska

Going to Fairbanks would add over 4 hours to your drive, and it's not as scenic as the rest anyway.

There is a UPS store in Wasilla. You drive right by it on the way to Matanuska.

Edited: 24 May 2010, 22:09
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,305 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Denali to Fairbanks to Matanuska

I think he is meaning a loop trip. It would take you over 8 hours (straight driving) to go to Fairbanks and then take the Richardson to Glennallen and then down to the Matanuska glacier. Maybe add another day to your trip if you would like to do this?? :)

3. Re: Driving from Denali to Fairbanks to Matanuska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 07:16