We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

The wife and I rafted the Six Mile River on 8/27 on the 2pm trip. We elected to do all 3 Canyons as we wanted the Class V rapids that came along with the 3rd Canyon.

You can't miss their location for the launching point. It was the first pull off on Hope road on the right. Did the swim test with the dry suit on. Under it we wore thermals and thin rain pants..tops we had on a fleece and rainjacket. All pretty thin. The water is 35 degrees...with your adrenaline pumped up you will be all good!

Scottie was our river guide with Mike in front of us in the paddling tube. Total of 5 were in our boat, it was like a private trip. Scottie and Mike knew their stuff...two great guys, we had a blast and will return again from Charleston, SC.

Scottie if you are reading this shout out to you...here is video of the 3rd Canyon for everyone to review:

http://vimeo.com/14532590

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

Looks like you had a fun time. I've taken a few float trips in WA state and that was cold enough. 35 degrees ! How long was the trip?

And how was the rest of your trip? Did you get to Denali?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

YesCanada, I was going to make a post tonight...a long one...just wasn't sure where I should put it because we crossed into many towns.

The trip was about 2:30 minutes. I didn't video the first two canyons.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

play it safe and just post to the Alaska forum!

It looked like bare hands on the oars. Didn't you have gloves? It really looks like fun. Did the dry suit keep you warm AND dry? It looked like one set of rapids after the other; definitely not a calm float trip down the Kenai.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

YesCanada...I told you I was a "do'er" bare hands yes!

It's class IV and V

GORP rates the SIX MILE the 2nd best white water in North America, I have done the New River and the Snake River..it much better than both...and a lot colder! Beautiful landscape too!

gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-whitewater-ra…

5. Re: Rafting the Six Mile with Nova was a great experience-video

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 07:16