We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

FYI I got a list of places yesterday that Great Alaskan Holidays restrict or prohibit their motorhomes from traveling on. I'm wondering if most rental car companies do the same?

The restrictions are:

1. Do not exceed 25 MPH

2. Stop and check the tires every 10 to 15 miles to ensure you don't have a flat on the rear dual tires.

The following are restricted roads:

Dalton Highway - from Elliott Highway to Arctic Circle.

Note: Due to flying rocks Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. requires employees to wear safety glasses when driving the Dalton Highway.

Denali Highway - Cantwell to Paxton (Occasionally in poor condition - For current conditions check with Alaska Dept. of Transportation.)

Denali National Park Road

Elliott Highway - Fairbanks to Hanley Hot Springs

Klondike Loop Highway - Chicken to Dawson City

Steese Highway - Fairbanks to Circle

Top of the World Highway - Dawson City to Chicken

Taylor Highway - Tetlin Junction to Eagle

Prohibited Roads: GAH vehicles are not allowed on these roads.

Alaska Highway - East of Jake's Corner, Yukon Territory

Campbell Highway - Carnacks to Watsoin Lake, Yukon Territory

Canol Road - Alaska Highway to NWT border

Dalton Highway - Arctic Circle to Prudhoe Bay

Dempster Highway - Dawson City to Inuvik

Hatcher Pass Road - Willow to Wasllia - Fishhook Road

McCarthy Road - Chitina to Kennicott

Nabesna Road - Slana to Nabesna

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

Yes, the major car rental companies also have these prohibitions.

There are a few smaller rental companies that have vehicles to rent (not cheap) that they will allow on these roads.

Scott.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

"I'm wondering if most rental car companies do the same? " Yes with a few exceptions but it will cost you big bucks. If it a road made out of dirt you should not be driving on it.

This will not keep your windshield from being cracked as I found out. One day driving the Richardson from Fairbanks to Birch Lake I came to a graveled section of the road where they were paving the road. I slowed down but an 18 wheeler from the other direction did not. He rocked my Tahoe like no other and just about shattered the windshield. I of course took action and immediately continued on to Birch Lake to fish. After all what is a cracked windshield in comparison to some good fishing? My insurance covered the windshield replacement so who cares!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

This is very close to the list I put in the TOP QUESTIONS area under RV travel. The only additions since 2009 are.... Denali National Park and Hatcher Pass.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

So then with a cracked windshield you fit in with all the other cars and trucks with cracked windshields in Alaska. We play a game to keep ourselves amused while visiting AK it's how many cracked windshields can you count?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

I got a cheap on my little car's windshield 2 days after I purchased it.

6. Re: Restricted and prohibited roads if you're renting from GAH.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 05:16