We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

We are family of 4 with 14 & 6 yr boys and never done any cruises. For July we reserved both 6hr Prince William Sound Glacier cruise out of Whittier and 6hr Stan Stephen Coumbia Glacier cruise out of Valdez.

Are we going to see pretty much similar things on both of these two cruises? Should we skip Whittier cruise and do some other things that time, like going for Salmon fishing charter with 14 yr old? If you have taken both of these two cruises, please suggest.

We will do Kenai Fjords 9hr full day National Park cruise out of Seward and do not want to skip it.

Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

When we were in Valdez last summer we ended up not doing a boat tour due to time constraits. However, in my research I was able to find a charter that would do fishing as well as a glacier cruise - it was just going to be a longer day. So if you talk to a few different people you may find you can get both in.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

Which PWS cruise did you reserve?

Regardless, I would recommend any PWS tour over the Columbia Glacier cruise, which doesn't get anywhere near that glacier, though you do get to see large icebergs....but you can see large bergs even better if you do the Knik Glacier tour just north of Anchorage with Hunter Creek.

Note that you likely won't get anywhere near Knik Glacier either...too many bergs. If you want to see glaciers calving, PWS is the best place.

Edited: 24 February 2011, 14:55
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

I agree with Manitoba Maple. But to clarify:

>>If you want to see glaciers calving, PWS is the best place.

Both the Whittier and the Valdez cruises tour PWS, but she means the PWS cruises from Whittier.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

Yes, that's what I meant to say. Thanks, John! :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We will do all three cruises and not skip anyone.

6. Re: Whittier PWS 6hr cruise vs. Valdez 6hr Glacier cruise;

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:18