We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

california
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Topic
anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

Hello

We will arrive in ANchorage and plan to spend our first day on a scenic drive along the Seward HIghway - probably as far as Portage. THe following morning will leave early for Denali... SO... my question is, we hoped to stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center.. but wondered if it would take less time, and we would see more animals by going to the ANchorage zoo?? I know it is small, but that is good since we dont have much time if we want to continue on the scenic drive. .. we just would like to get a little "closer" to some of the animals common to ALaska that we might not see in the huge zoos in California and other parts of the States... ANy thoughts on what the two places are like, and the time it takes to tour each of them???

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

You can get just as close to many of the animals at the Conservation Center as you can at the zoo......you can drive your car from one habitat to the next and observe the animals in more of natural environment......I have been to both.....the zoo, is just a typical small zoo, nice landscaping, gift shops etc, but to me the animals don't looks as happy there.....the zoo has tigers, monkeys, etc, while the Conservation Center has all native Alaskan animals who have been rescued.........don't know how much time you will have, but you can easily spend as little as one hour at the CC and still enjoy it.........

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

Wildlife Conservation Center. 100% more Alaskan than the zoo.

You can do it in as quick as an hour, or spend several hours there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

I agree, I've been to both and would vote for the WCC.

Alabama
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

Went to both, and quite honestly the WCC was a mess. Fences were broken, whole habitats were empty. We were very disappointed.

I would suggest the zoo, but maybe we caught the WCC at a bad time.

5. Re: anchorage zoo or wildlife conservation center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 18:16