We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panhandling crackdown

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Panhandling crackdown

Just in case any of our visitors are approached on the downtown streets by panhandlers.......I heard on the news this morning, that the police department is enforcing a new rule by ticketing drivers who give money (or stop to talk to) panhandlers.......apparently it is much more prevelant on some of the busier street corners and is impeding traffic so they are hoping traffic tickets will discourage it.........

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panhandling crackdown

I used to give out the free burger coupons from McDonalds and I had a few of them crumble it up and throw it back at me.

unfortunately I've also watched the homeless population (even here in Juneau) go into the local bars or liquor stores and purchase liquor, so its difficult for me to give out money :/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panhandling crackdown

To be clear that is an Anchorage "crackdown" on giving money to the poor. Mayor is instructing police to spend their time on this. Not a Statewide thing as far as I know. Mayor wants people to give money to organizations and approved charities.

edited with link

adn.com/2011/05/04/1845334/anchorage-revives…

Edited: 06 May 2011, 01:42
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panhandling crackdown

You're right Johnny, I thought I had put this in the Anchorage forum.....that is indeed where it belongs.......just wanted to warn any soft hearted travelers so they wouldn't receive a ticket........

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panhandling crackdown

I saw the same thing on TV the other night. From what I saw it applies to motorists in their car. If you park your car and get out and approach them there is no problem. The point being made is that if you want to help the homeless then contribute to the local shelters where they can find food. This is better arrangement than handouts to individuals.

5. Re: Panhandling crackdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 15:17