We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage arrival and departure - rental cars

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Indiana
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anchorage arrival and departure - rental cars

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Anchorage in June. My family of 19 will be going on a HAL cruise from Seward. But before beginning the cruise, we will be able to spend 3 days in Anchorage. We hope to visit Chugach State Park, the Alaska museum, the Alaska Cultural Center, and bike on the Tony Cowles trail. I am trying to think about car rental while we are there.

The first of our group will arrive at ANC at 5:30 a.m. They will need to rent a car in order to drive to our bed & breakfast. Most of the car rental facilities seem to be on Spenard Road - apparently quite a distance from the airport. Will there be rental company shuttles operating at that time in the morning?

And then, when it is time to leave Anchorage, we will be taking the 6:45 a.m. Sunday morning train. The rental car drivers in our group will need to drop the rest of us off at the train station, which is, as I understand, at 411 West 1st Avenue. Then they will return the cars to the rental company. But I don't think the rental offices will be open yet. I wonder if there is a way to drop the cars off while the offices are closed. And, then, how can the drivers get back to the train station? Are there any rental car companies that are within walking distance of the train station? I wonder how long this whole process will take? Alaska Railroad suggests we arrive an hour before the train departs. The B&B is about 15 minutes away from downtown. Is there anyone who has gone through this process before?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage arrival and departure - rental cars

Which rental company are you using? And where have you reserved for the drop off? Also Spenard Road? Thrifty/Dollar? Or have you even reserved the car(s) yet? If not, what size car(s) are you thinking about? Have you checked the costs for a rental car? Please be sitting down when you check, you are in for a shock :-).

Where are you staying the night before the cruise? Exact street address or hotel/B&B name please. Are you all staying there?

A 5.30am arrival into Anchorage. Very interesting. Where are they coming from? Certainly not the lower 48. Off airport rental locations are closed at that hour, but the airport offices are open (most are anyway).

With 19 people, you might be best off checking on a tour/bus company to do a transfer for you the morning you need to be at the train station. Ask for a quote for a 20-25 passenger bus.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 03:03
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage arrival and departure - rental cars

"Will there be rental company shuttles operating at that time in the morning?"

I doubt it. You'll have to rent your car at the airport, or else taxi to the hotel and rent the car downtown the next morning. Spenard isn't that far ($10 taxi ride).

Some rental companies will allow you to drop the car off after hours, some won't. You'd have to ask.

Where are you staying the last night? Some places offer a shuttle to the train depot, and that might be your best bet, so you could drop the cars off the night before.

Another idea with a large party like yours is to skip the train and rent a limo. Probably cheaper, and you could also make stops en route to Seward (scenic stops, Wildlife Conservation Center, Exit Glacier...you'd have to arrange this in advance so the driver can have you in Seward when you need to be there). Not to mention depart at a more decent hour.....

3. Re: Anchorage arrival and departure - rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 05:29