We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

harrisburg pa
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

Could anyone tell me where is the best place to buy groceries in Anchorage? We will be stocking up before heading to the Kenai

Peninsula.

Also, We will be staying in Mid-Town Anchorage for a few days.

Where are the "must do" restaurants?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Winthrop Harbor...
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

Anchorage has sure come a l-o-n-g way in the past 20 years in terms of grocery shopping. Carr's/Safeway grocery chain is found just about everywhere. Your best bet for stocking up would be Costco or Sam's Club and Walmart (nope, its not a Super Walmart). Fred Meyer is also a place to shop (not too far from Walmart in Anchorage between Benson and Northern Lights Blvd). Thats what we do when we stock up for an extended stay in the bus.

As for Anchorage restaurants, I have yet to find a really good restaurant that is equally good on food, service and price. There are the local fast food chains as well as Applebees, but even they were disappointing. I suggest you log on to Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels web site for her travels around the county...she did a little piece on restaurants in Anchorage. You might find something from her recommendations. From the restaurants she went to, I had been to all of them except one (Marx Bros cafe - way too pricey) and again, they were outrageously expensive - don't know how her prices were so reasonable - unless you're eating from the appetizer menu. Enjoy your stay!

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

thanks for asking this question - I was hoping that there was a sam's club to stock up on bottled water before we head out since I heard we should not drink the water when traveling in an RV.

The restaurant website sounds interesting too

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

Yes, Fred Meyer's is one of the best, and there is Costco and Sam's. Soldnotna (Kenai) also has a Fred Meyers, so you'll be fine. More of an issue if you are heading North or to out of the way places.

One of my favorite places to eat in Anchorage is the Snow City Cafe in downtown -it's a breakfast/lunch place. I only go there for breakfast, but they have some of the best food. Just expect all food to cost considerably more than where you are from - even fast food is much higher. Hope that helps! :)

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

The Glacier Brewhouse in downtown Anchorage has great food and another place is Humpy's that I enjoy. As everyone said, Fred Meier & Walmart are around to stock up. There is another Wal-Mart on A Street right near the Springhill Suites Hotel.

anchorage, alaska
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

Hi Baby, Looks like everyone covered the groceries pretty well (Costco, Fred Meyer, Carrs/Safeway, etc). For restaurants in midtown I would suggest the Bear Tooth -- it's a local place with nice atmosphere. You could also try the Moose's Tooth, which is a pizza place owned by the same people who own the Bear Tooth. Great pizza and salads! For a fun weekend afternoon in midtown, my favorite spot to go is the strip mall that houses REI, the Middle Way Cafe, and Title Wave Books. REI will get you in the mood for Alaska outdoor adventures, Middle Way is always busy and has great coffee, soups and sandwiches (try the carrot cake!), and Title Wave is a great bookstore with new and used books.

Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
83 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

What about adult beverages? Do the grocery stores carry wine and beer? Thank you,

Love 2

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

Lovetotravel: Our grocery stores carry all alcohol - beer, wine, booze . . . one stop shopping! :)

Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
83 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores and restaurants in Anchorage

That's great. We'll buy water, too. Love2