We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

Hi,

I am visiting Alaska next month and i will be arriving on the 19th of next month at 9:30 pm. Since its pretty late and i am coming from midwest, i thought it will be better to stay in downtown area. i am thinking of booking a b&b or a hotel for that night and starting off to whittier next day for the cruise. i am staying at a cabin in girdwood for the second night. I wanted to know if there are in supermarkets or grocery stores in girdwood or should i buy everything i need from anchorage ?

any advice appreciated !

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

I would buy everything in Anchorage. I stayed in the cabin at the Alyeska Hostel earlier this month. The hostel recommends buying groceries in Anchorage since the grocery store in Girdwood is small and expensive.

We bought an entire 9 days' worth of groceries for two of us for right about $10/person/day. We ate very well and this is what I count on spending when I shop in Alaska for groceries.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

wow ! thanks a lot for such a quick response :). where did u shop for your groceries in anchorage ? i looked up online and looks like there are couple of walmarts in the area. any other local place to do the shopping ?

thanks a ton !

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

I usually choose Fred Meyers of Wal Mart, depending on which direction I am traveling. If I go north, I choose Fred Meyers (can buy my propane tanks and other non-food supplies there too). If I go south, like last time, I choose either Fred Meyers or Wal Mart (last time I chose Wal Mart). Fred Meyers is a local store that is much like a Super Wal Mart.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

There's a Carrs (part of the Safeway chain) off of Huffman as you head south on the Seward Highway.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

FYI - Crow Creek Mercantile in Girdwood is associated with Carrs (Safeway) also. But I agree to hit the Fred Meyer or Safeway on the way out of Anchorage. The one in Girdwood is the smallest Safeway in the U.S. (that is what I heard) so bring your savers card. You won't starve if you're forced to shop there - you just won't have a zillion choices.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 04:25
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

Hi, Fred Meyers is part of the Kroger chain so you can use your saver card from any of the Kroger conglomerate as well. I take it you will have a car? If you stay downtown, there is also a nice market called the City Market where you can get more gourmet level foods and some of the best seafood - fresh Alaska salmon,, etc. it's on the corner of I and 13th downtown. If you post again with the address of your hotel or B&B, we will be glad to give you directions to the various groceries on your way out of town.

I find Fred Meyer to be slightly less expensive than Carr's but Carr's has better produce. Oh, if you are interested, you could stop by the downtown open air market for truly fresh vegetables on Saturday morning. It's a lot of fun as well. No one seems to have much experience with Wal-Mart groceries up here as we havne't had the large stores for very long. Target here does some groceries as well.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

i am staying at 4201 Taft Drive, Anchorage before heading to girdwood and seward the next day. thanks a lot for all the responses ! they were very helpful...the only question i had was would i need any membership to buy stuff from the fred meyers or carrs ? all i hve is dominicks values card !

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

Hi, from there ask your host how to get onto Minnesota heading south. When you get to the Dimond exit (maybe 5 minutes), exit and turn right at the end of the exit ramp. Move over immediately to the left hand lane and turn left at the light into the Fred Meyer parking lot. When you leave Fred Meyer, head towards the mountains (east) and keep going until you go under some rail road tracks. At that point, be sure to move to the right and after the light at Old Seward, watch to turn onto the entrance to the Seward Highway South bound (about 500 feet maybe), you will then be on the road to Girdwood. Be sure to turn on your headlights as it is the law once the road becomes two lane. If there is anything you wanted that you couldn't find at Fred Meyer, turn off at Huffman and you will see the large Carr's to the right at the end of the exit ramp. I don't think Dominick's is part of Kroger.

Hope this helps.

9. Re: Staying in Anchorag - Girdwood. Supermarkets or grocery ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:17