We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Simi Valley
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

Joining hubby on part of his working trip around Alaska later this month. I will be in Anchorage a full day on my own (a Thursday, I think) without a car, and am looking for the best and safest things to do alone.

Been reading forums, and things like the the zoo, heritage center, and some of the museums sound about my speed. Looks like I can get shuttles to some of these places. Is that still true? Or is the bus system a better idea? Anything else that is good for a woman traveling alone to visit? I'm not a hiker but love to walk. Saw a walking tour of the city mentioned - would that be worthwhile?

Will be heading back to Anchorage at the end of the trip for another full day with hubby in tow to share what I enjoyed with him, so if there are other not-to-miss things to do that are better with two of us, please let me know. We also like to go out to hear live music during or after dinner - any suggestions? We are in our 50s, like acoustic guitar singer/songwriter type music or softer rock bands.

Thanks in advance for your help. Thanks also for all the help I've gotten from reading all the forums here in planning the rest of our itinerary. It's been a challenge having to plan around hubby's work assignments!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

Hi, welcome to the forum.

To my knowledge, the zoo, Native Heritage Center, Ulu Factory, and Sourdough Mining Co/Alaska Wildberry (across the street) all have free shuttles from downtown (donations gladly accepted). Check the websites for times. Note that you can get a discounted Culture Pass if you're going to both the Heritage Center and Museum at Rasmuson Center (details on website).

If you like to walk, try Tony Knowles Coastal Trail for nice views: …alaska.gov/parks/…knowlsct.htm

As for your free day at the end, will you be renting a car? If so, do the very scenic drive south of Anchorage and either the 26 Glaciers cruise out of Whittier (1+ hrs driving each way) or go all the way to Seward for a 6 hr. Kenai Fjords NP cruise (2.5 hrs. driving each way). You can do both of those by train if you don't drive.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

I often travel alone to Anchorage and adore visiting the Anchorage Museum www.anchoragemuseum.org/, followed by a little shopping downtown, lunch at Sacks www.sackscafe.com/, and then a long walk on the coastal trail. The museum is on the far side of Nordstroms/Fifth Avenue Mall.......Sacks is at 4th and G....coastal trail is just a few blocks west of there. Head south on the trail. There are bathrooms at the Westchester Lagoon and a snack shop www.trailsofanchorage.com/kincaid_park.htm

Makes for a wonderful day. There are also bike rentals in downtown Anchorage if you would like zoom along the trail alaska-bike-rentals.com/

Simi Valley
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

Thanks for the ideas, and links! Sounds like I will have no problem keeping myself occupied. Free shuttles are a great idea. More cities should do that.

Going to see how the weather is as I'd love to walk or bike some of the coastal trail if it isn't raining. Otherwise, I'm happy to hit museums and such. Please don't tell my husband there is a Nordstrom there though - I'll never get him to go anywhere else, lol.

We will have a car when he is in town with me, so a glacier cruise sounds like a good way to spend our last day, though I imagine the train would be a nice ride as well. Would the cruise out of Whittier be calmer water? I get seasick pretty easily and am thinking the Sound would be better than more open water, for me anyway.

Is Wildberry a restaurant? Is the Ulu factory worth a stop?

Thanks for your help!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

"Would the cruise out of Whittier be calmer water?"

Usually it is very calm, but no guarantees. Two of the 4 times I've been to Whittier, it was stormy! The other 2 were smooth as glass. You're not as likely to see much wildlife out of Whittier, but then, no guarantees on what you'd see out of Seward either, which normally has a better chance of seeing wildlife.

Alaska Wildberry is basically a store with lots of neat locally made jams and jellies and candy and meats, etc. Good place to buy unusual souvenirs or gifts for back home. Also has the world's largest chocolate waterfall. Also has a small park, theatre, and ice cream shop. More info: alaskawildberryproducts.com/index/…... and ha ha, I just noticed they have Beer Brittle. I must have missed that when I was there last time...lol....

Across the street from Wildberry is a restaurant called Sourdough Mining Co. I went there a few years ago, and the food was reasonably good, nothing to get excited about though. I also stayed for the free Dusty Sourdough show afterward, and while it was a bit hokey, I thought it was a fun way to spend an hour while "digesting". More info: http://sourdoughmining.com/

As for the ULU factory, I haven't been there. Here is the website: http://www.theulufactory.com/ . You can buy ULU's just about anywhere, and virtually every visitor comes back with one, lol. OF course, the best selection would be at the factory itself.

5. Re: Solo day in Anchorage - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 04:17