We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

I'll be flying into Anchorage mid September, looking around on line for the best rate with one of the major car rental companies.

I'd like to rent a small SUV

I can pick up at the airport or around town, I have family meeting me.

For car rentals I've never used Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Etc

Anyone try these? and if so how was the experience and the rates?

Thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

What date and time do you arrive? Many off-airport companies have limited hours.

How long will you be renting for? That greatly affects options, rates, etc. Realize that mid September is very much shoulder season so you should find a pretty good deal.

I would check the various car rental companies' websites, then other sites like carrentals.com.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,906 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

An SUV will not be cheap - but perhaps you can find some deals, since middle of September is generally the end of tourist season. Any reason you need an SUV?

I would compare online with as many companies as you can. Usually you only find car rental deals several months ahead, but that is for the normal summer rates. I generally use hotwire or who ever gives me the best deal - good luck! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

My friend and I are going to Alaska from 9/2-9/10. We will arrival ANC on 9/3 2:30am. After the search all car rental companies will close b/w 2am-6am. I really don't know what other people do to get rental car and where? We dont want siting at airport for 3hrs after long flight from all the way NY. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

I have an economy booked for a week mid September at Enterprise off Airport for $125.00 /wk. Check directly with the rental companies. Off airport could be a bit cheaper but you need to be mindful of the hours. All the major companies have locations in Anchorage.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

Check Alamo, but sign up for the "Insiders" program. I had actually booked an intermediate SUV for 8 days next summer for $500 total, which was fantastic compared to today's rates (well over $1000), then had to change the dates and bingo, that rate disappeared and I have not seen it since. I ended up with a full size with Hertz for $300, which was a great deal as well, but we still prefer an SUV so i will keep looking.

Look off airport as well and you will often get better rates.

Rates can change as quickly as airfares so keep looking and good luck!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

Note about changing dates . . .

I have had some success if with a great rate I have to tweak the dates, by calling the rental company's counter in Anchorage or Fairbanks directly and asking about changing the dates. I've retained the rate initially booked by doing this in all but one instance.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

Oh..I wish I had thought of that! Thanks for the tip. I will remember this in the future. Sure is worth a try.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

I always start searches of this type with kayak.com

9. Re: Looking for Car Rental, Best Prices, Sm SUV Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 13:18