We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car fees

Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car fees

I am having issues with my logins so I could not reply to a recent post.I see that someone has rented an SUV for ten days and is paying 300 some dollars.I just reserved one through Enterprise for the same time frame also for ten days nad I am paying $900.00.

What the hell?

Can someone clue me in?I can't imagine that big of a difference renting away from the airport??

Thanks

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car fees

There is that big of a difference from company to company as well as off and on airport. It can also depend on when you booked and when I say "when" I mean what day and time you were on your computer booking. Car rental fees and prices make no sense sometimes. Make the cheapest reservation you can find right now and keep looking and look until the day before you leave, always make cancelable reservations and cancel the most expensive when you find a less expensive one.

A few years ago I rented off airport a mini van for family at $1400 for two weeks, the day before they arrived I found the same van at the airport for $900 for two weeks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car fees

that person might have rented during the brief "special" Enterprise ran a few weeks ago when an economy car was $99 a week. Prices will fluctuate constantly over the next yr so just watch the sites frequently. I was waiting patiently for the Enterprise special so I checked weekly starting in July. I reserved a minivan for $215 a week.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 20:57
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car fees

yes, I booked during Enterprise's promotion. Every company is different and they all run their own promotions at different times. In fact, car rental fees changes can vary as much as airline fees changes. I have read that fees can change once a day, or not..you just need to be vigilant.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car fees

I had posted a thread here about my recent experience with AARP Travel and a rental car reservation but it was initially deleted and closed. It has since been moved over to the "Budget Travel" forum. Here is the link for anyone working on car rental reservations in AK: tripadvisor.com/…36156460 .

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
82 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car fees

Hey everyone,

After all your help on this forum to plan ahead, I am so upset with myself that I am already behind in my booking of our trip next August. But alas, we are behind, and I am so bummed about the car rental prices. I have rented a car on 1 other occasion, so am not up to speed I guess on how often sales are and all. How often do companies have sales? There are 2 sets of dates we are looking at, both are at teh end of next August.

Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,818 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car fees

It's not necessarily that they do (or don't have sales). The agencies are constantly looking at how many bookings they have versus how, many cars they have available, versus several other factors (like cancelations). Most of them change their rates very regularly.

The key things are:

(1) to make a reservation for each of the dates you are thinking of (reservations are free).

(2) check car rental rates frequently (I'd do it daily) to see if the rate drops below the rate you have in your reservation. If rates go down, make a new reservation and then cancel your old reservation.

(3) repeat step 3.

Good luck,

Scott

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
82 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car fees

Thanks Scott. It looks like it ranges from $650 to $900 for a 10 day rental. I know have have seen better in the past. I guess I should make a reservation now at the lowest price and just adjust as the prices change. I have also signed up for all the rental car companies weekly deal emails. So bummed I missed the Enterprise special!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car fees

As long as there isn't a cancellation fee, make a reservation now, then keep watching for a price drop. Prices will change frequently over the next several months, even up to the day of your trip. I knew the Enterprise deal would happen so starting in June I checked their site weekly.

Try www.carrental.com. Check the prices frequently.

9. Re: car fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:15