We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions Please

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestions Please

We arrive in Anchorage after midnight. Can anyone suggest a hotel for that first night that doesn't cost so much but is clean and safe? I would rather blow the budget once we get going.

And if anyone knows of really neat places to stay in Denali, Fairbanks, Seward....I'd love to hear about it. I am travelling in June.

To any Floridians out there.....I got a great airfare from America West! $344 round trip if I booked now.

Anchorage, AK
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

Congrats on getting a great pirce on airfare -- that's the usual nonsale price from Anchorage to Seattle. Hotels/motels in June are in the height of the tourist season so the rates are higher (simple supply and demand). The good news is, they're on a hotel construction spree lately in Anchorage so that should hold prices down somewhat. You're arriving after midnight, so there are some hotels in a strip along Spenard Road that are close to the airport -- 5 minutes away. One of the hidden good ones: Lakeshore Motor Inn (www.lakeshoremotorinn.com, 800-770-3000). I've had family stay there before. It's not the Hilton but it's clean, safe, within walking distances of several eating spots and it's not $240 a night like the Hilton. It's on Lakeshore Drive, tucked back off Spenard Road and across the street from Lake Hood, where you can watch the float planes buzz back and forth. Only 44 rooms but pretty much all the amenities. In Midtown there are several new motels, all the usual suspects including a new Motel 6, the first one in Alaska. I would think in the summer their likely prices would start around $80 a night. Denali, depends on what you want. Lots of B and Bs 15 miles north of the entrance in Healy; lots of rooms in what we call "Glitter Gulch" just north of the entrance -- everything from a Princess lodge, very upper end, to places with cute little cabins. None of it is very cheap. One place to look for suggestions: www.alaska.com has a lot of good info. Another bet -- stay in Fairbanks, do Denali during the day and drive back to Fairbanks. It's about 90 minutes vs. 5 hours back to Anchorage. Lot of places in Fairbanks but two of note: Rivers Edge Hotel and Cottages, and Sophie Station. I've stayed in the latter in the off-season, it's an all-suite hotel that looks like maybe it was converted from something else, like maybe a bit apartment building, but it was reasonable and LOTS of space inside, restaurant on the premises and quick access to everything. Seward is very limited (7 hotels/motels) in terms of lodging and pricey in summer. Probably better as a day trip unless you're there for multiple-day playing. Edgewater is the high-end newest place; a B and B worth the price (around $100) is Werner Manor 907 224-5608. Two others: Breeze Inn (near the small boat harbor/boat tours) and the Best Western, which is downtown near the Sea Life Center. Avoid the Van Gilder -- it's described as "historic" which means way way old. I would also encourage you to check out the Great Alaskan Toursaver (www.toursaver.com). It's a coupon book, $99, packed with 2-for-1 and freebie coupons (like free trips on the Alaska Railroad, half price on Denali hotels, etc. etc. Worth every penny if you're going to be out and about in Alaska. Hope that helps!! Roy-Anchorage

Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

Just checked Motel 6 in July...$144 a night WITHOUT tax. Very steep for a motel 6.

Alaska, USA
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

There is also a Microtel just outside the airport grounds which usually is under 100 bucks and a Holiday Inn Express.

Alaska, USA
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

That Motel 6 is brank spankin new, there is also a brand new Fairfield Inn next to that. Also check the net for the Dimond Hotel which is a few miles down at the Dimond Regional Mall.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

I checked all the websites and they are all $144 to over $200

for the night....hah! half night. I was just figuring to get some sleep, rent a car the next day and get on the road. I sent an email to the Lakeshore Inn since they do not publish their prices. If I don't hear back, then I will call them.

Thanks everyone (and Roy) for taking the time to help me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

We are traveling to Alaska the first of June and found rooms at Super 8 for $80. I would imagine they will be clean and we're only staying there one night. Denali River Cabins are the cheapest I've found in Denali for $99 off river. We aren't going to Fairbanks so can't help you there. If you are going to the Kenai kenaipeninsula.org has been helpful...

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

You might consider looking in Eagle River the first night. This is a suburb of Anchorage, just on the other side of the Army Base and it has 2 decent hotel/motels in a decent area. We have had relatives stay there when visiting us and everyone can't fit in our house. The names slip me, but just search Eagle River, 20 minutes drive from the airport up the Glenn Highway (freeway).

Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

AlaskaMan:

Is the Super 8 location, in an unsafe area? I would appreciate info.

mrn
anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

Super 8 is in midtown. It's minutes from the airport. The location is safe.

mrn
anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Suggestions Please

There are also a couple of other older but close and clean hotels near the airport you might check in to. One is called the Best Western Barratt Inn and the other is the Millenium. There is also a West Coast International Inn near the Microtel. I would make reservations for something soon though, as you can see, the rates are already going up. Good Luck.