We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

I'm a pretty big planner and am trying to nail down a trip to Alaska for my extended family..2 seniors, 2 adults, 1 teen, 2 under 12's...I had considered a cruise, but think a day cruise or 2 might be a better option as we would like to see Denali & other scenery. How would be the best way to spend the 7-8 days? We like light hiking, drive-seeing, scenery, scenery, scenery.......vrbo or hotels ok. I am sure we will rent a car and stay in a couple of places...Anc and Seward? Or better off to just day trip from Anc?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

You can't day trip to many places from Anchorage - Alaska is too far spread out for that. I think you could easily do 2-3 days in Seward, 2-3 days in Denali and then see sights in btw, depending on the activites you want to do. I would suggest you look at some trip reports and see what is typical of most folks that have a week to travel up here. Happy planning! :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

With 7 days you probably want to consider visiting two specific areas such as Denali and Seward. It is very difficult to do day trips from Anchorage, everything is just too far away. There are sights to see around Anchorage but you will want to venture out of the area to see wildlife, do some hiking and view some magnificent scenery. If you know your dates you should try to secure a rental car (or two) as soon as possible, the prices are high and tend to go up the closer summer gets. You may find cheaper prices by checking around every couple weeks or so up until you leave but secure the best price you can find now.

Denali is great for hiking, scenery and wildlife viewing. You can also white water raft or flight see. The shuttle bus is the best and least expensive way to see the park and be able to do some hiking inside the park.

Seward is a seaside town that offers fishing, day long cruises, kayaking, glaciers and The Sea Life Center. The drive from Denali to Seward is a long day and can be broken up by a night in Anchorage or Girdwood.

I am sure someone who is good at itineraries will jump in with a plan for you to look over but in the mean time you might want to check out last years trip reports for some ideas. The trip reports are under the Top Questions About Alaska heading on the upper right of the Alaska Forums homepage.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

You can do some great trips in 7 days that include Kenai Fjords & Denali either by train/coach or self drive. See here: www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-vacations.html for some ideas and prices. I found this a great place to start my research.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

Coalminer...we weren't crazy about basing in Anc anyway., but we will have to fly into it. We are very much country people...I even taught in a 3 room school house (grades 3, 4 & 5 were in my room). We are very rural here and don't like cities...even the size of Anc.

Spacefry...I already worry that we are too late to get hotels at a more reasonable price..or will be...this is a surprise Christmas present so won't book anything until we are sure when they can go as well.

Tez...thanks, some of those look interesting, and I am sure I can make some arrangements on my own, but it gives me a good idea.

And, yes, I need to read the questions at the right.....

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

You aren't too late, though I would book your car rental as soon as your flights and travel days are booked. Many B&B's and such don't book until the new year . . . and if you are looking for more budget friendly places, I would check into cabins and B&B's as well as hotels. Let's us know your nightly lodging budget, and we would be happy to help. :)

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

Definitely cabins since you have so many folks. From what I've seen, multiroom cabins are cheaper than the same amount of sleep spaces in B&Bs even. Definitely cheaper than hotels.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

Definitely looking for budget friendly places. We don't need frills at all, but do want safe and clean. And I'm not sure we can manage on 2 bathrooms! We go to the Smokey Mountains about every summer and almost always rent a cabin there. I'll check out vrbo and home away at some point.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

What are the exact ages of the kids? Have each of them mentioned what they would most like to see/do in Alaska (when I was a kid, I don't recall "scenery scenery scenery" being that high on my list of must-do's, lol)? If they haven't, then ask all of them to write down 3 things they'd be interested in, and guarantee that at least one of them will be included on the trip. Maybe hiking on a glacier (if they're old enough), goldpanning, see a HUGE polar bear at teh zoo, even swimming (yeah, for the die-hards there is a waterpark in Anchorage). More ideas: http://www.anchorage.net/633.cfm .

What month are you going?

And what exactly do you mean by "budget friendly places"? A dollar range would give us a better idea. Keep in mind that lodgings in Alaska tend to be small and plain compared to what you'd find elsewhere....think "rustic".... But that's part of the the charm of this state.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

.... water park!!!! We've Goose Lake right in town. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Anchorage for 7 days...suggestions?

I wouldn't use vrbo or homeaway, because most of them are for a several days to week long stay in one location, which we wouldn't advise. You would need to look at the few towns you will stay in for lodging and if you share what that nightly budget is, we can try to help. For example, here are two websites for my local area:

http://www.denalichamber.com/

http://www.alaskaone.com/healy/