We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can't decide where to overnight

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
can't decide where to overnight

Hi all

Can't decide between spending the night in Anchorage, then head out early to Metanuska glacier for Ice climbing (6 hrs) then head to Talkeetna for the night with flight seeing the next morning - orrr stay closer to the glacier for the night.

Is there anything else to do in the area of the glacier that I'm missing? (early June)

Thanks

Deb

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can't decide where to overnight

As you go through Palmer there is the Musk Ox Farm as well as the Reindeer one . . . also the Knik River/Glacier Tour is pretty spectacular and different than hiking on the glacier you're going to.

I'd stay up in/around Palmer.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 16:21
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,261 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can't decide where to overnight

When do you arrive? That might be what determines where you stay. Depending on that, I would consider staying around the glacier area because it is very scenic . . .but it really depends on the time frame. :)

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can't decide where to overnight

Coalminer - We arrive in Seward on June 1st. Taking 6pm train into Anchorage on the 2nd - arrive 1015pm. I have the Residence Inn booked for 2 nights, (2 & 3rd) but I can change that to 1 night. the plan was to get the car in the morning, do whatever in Anchorage for the day, spend the night again and early morning head to Matanuska. BUT, the MICA guides times say 9 and 1030am - and I'm not sure if we get to choose for the ice climbing - I've sent them an email - but it may take a little for them to get back to me. If its the 1030, we'd be done there around 430 pm.

If we spend the day doing whatever in Anchorage, then head out after one night in Anchorage, we could catch spend the night in the area, then catch the 9am climb (on the 3rd) be done at 330, and still have some time to do more stuff in the area - I had forgotten about the Musk farm and the Reindeer - and I know nothing about Knick River - so I need to look at that. I suppose we could leave Anchorage earlier than planned and try and do something along the way - Oh my - there's just so much to see and do!!

Either way - when we're done in that area - we're heading to Talkeetna for flight seeing. I don't have those booked yet - but we could shoot for the 1030 flight, which means we could leave the area and have time in the morning to not be crazed. I had planned to spend a night in Talkeetna - but we don't have too - we could drive in, do the flight seeing, have lunch and head for Denali. (The last portion of the trip is not even closed to planned yet)

I really appreciate all the feedback!!

Thanks!

Deb

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can't decide where to overnight

To save time in the morning, I think I'd stay in Palmer/Wasilla area the night before the Matanuska Glacier.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can't decide where to overnight

There are a couple of reviews of the Knik Glacier tour, including one that I wrote, here on TA . . . tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31086-d1872… .

Seeing is believing . . . there are more photos from our trip on this review: igougo.com/review-r1378339-One_of_the_Best_T… .

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can't decide where to overnight

There is one correction I just caught in the TA review . . .

" . . . after learning about his tour via the Alaska Tour Savers discount book."

We actually booked this tour through the Northern Lights Book in 2006, as that was the book we purchased that year. (Maybe he did advertise in both??)

Unfortunately, there is no way to edit a review on TA once published without removing the original and rewriting the edit.

I don't know if they are advertising in either book for 2012, so you'll need to research that if you're interested.

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can't decide where to overnight

Ok - update - the MICA guides say we will need about 7.5 hours total - so that's a full day. and the Knik River glacier tour looks incredible - so I need to figure 2 full days in that area!! I may need to give up Anchorage - though I'm not sure what we were going to do there - and we can probably do it all on our last day - leave Denali and head into Anchorage - as our flight is out late. -

Thanks all

Deb

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can't decide where to overnight

Hi debava - I'm currently in the process of trying to re-hash our schedule to extend our time in the Mat-Su Valley! Have a look at www.alaskavisit.com for ideas on more things to fill your time.

Maybe you could head out to Matanuska early on your first day for MICA, overnight at Knik River Lodge or somewhere in Palmer, do the Knik Glacier tour then head off to Talkeetna. If it's a fine afternoon, you may be able to do your flightsee, stay overnight then head to Denali the next day. That will give you another chance for flightseeing the next mornng if the weather is not so good on the day you get to Talkeetna.

Everyone on the forums will tell you that if you have limited time - don't waste it hanging around in Anchorage!

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can't decide where to overnight

Tez823

LOL! Filling my time is not the problem! There are too many things I want to do!! I think I've already decided to ditch Anchorage till the last day - when we leave Denali and head back - then we'd have a full day there after we got in from Denali before the airport.

I'm currently thinking - get the car, pack up and head out. Hopefully get into the area early enough for the reindeer farm and the musk ox farm - which I'd like to do both. Then catch the 2pm Knik River tour - that takes us to 6pm - check in somewhere, get some dinner and get some rest! Then the next day catch the 1030 Mica tour - which brings us to 6pm again - dinner, overnight again, then head out in the morning for Talkeetna. I'm thinking maybe the Hatcher pass B & B. (???) I need to look at times to get places from there - ie how long for us to get to the tours, and how long for Talkeetna from there.

HA! The more I plan the more I change!!

Thanks for the feedback!!

Happy New Year!!

Deb

New England
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can't decide where to overnight

http://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

These are great cabins very near MICA. Wonderful owners and very clean cabins. Loved our stay there. An easy drive from Anchorage and Palmer.