We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

I will be in Anchorage the week of May 6,2012. I would love to see a Glacier possible do a hike, not so sure about climbing but I am open to anything. I will have access to a vehicle and I am looking to maybe travel about an hour give or take since I am traveling alone and don't want to go to far out. I have looked at some of the hiking companies but they are all around $200+. I was hoping to maybe spend $75-$150. Anyone have any local suggestions or companies they may have used?

Thanks in advance,

Any other awesome things to do or see I am open to that too. I will be there for about 6 days.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

You may want to head south to Seward if you have the time. There are whale watching trips at that time of the year and the Sealife Center will be open. The drive is quite beautiful. Glacier hikes at that tie of the year will be difficult because of the snow cover. It seems like most start running the tours around Jun1. You may want to stop and see if Byron Glacier is accessible at that time of year but I would plan on hiking in snow or having snow shoes.

You could also do a drive up to Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine. Take a look at this trip report at the end of this thread. You will encounter similar conditions just a bit warmer and less snow:

http://tinyurl.com/c6px9nf

New York
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

See if you can get a guided tour out of Matanuska. I've gone with both Nova and MICA. See if either of those are open.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into Mica so far and they don't seem to be running in may but I have emailed them. I will look into the other company as well.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

I will for sure check these out, thanks for the suggestions. The sea animal rescue place looks very cool.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

I was into the Portage/Byron Glacier area this past weekend and there's still a good 3 feet of snow on the ground; so I'd recommend snow shoes as I can't see that snow being gone in the next couple of weeks.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing as Scott- it'll be snowshoeing, not hiking on the glaciers for a while. The snow isn't even gone from my southfacing yard.

7. Re: Anchorage Glacier Hiking in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:16