We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anchorage campground

montreal
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
anchorage campground

Hi everyone,

we are going to Anchorage for 2 days ( out of 2 weeks in Alaska ),

looking for a campground with hookups if possible or nice view ( even without hookups ) . Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anchorage campground

Eagle River campground just 10 miles north Of Anchorage has a view but no hookups and is a very nice and convenient campground.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anchorage campground

The Golden Nugget (see: http://goldennuggetcamperpark.com/ ) is the only the only campground within the city I would even remotely consider. It has all of the hookups (including crappy interent); but certainly no views/scenery.

Bring shower sandals.

montreal
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anchorage campground

Thank you all !

I heard that a lot of campers just boondock .. Is it true and safe ? Walmart or travel stops ?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anchorage campground

Last I heard Walmart in Anchorage didn't allow boondocking - but that may have changed. We have stayed at Fred Meyers when desperate to stop for the night. They are really RV friendly with a free dump site in most locations. We've occasionally boondocked in AK, and always felt safe.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anchorage campground

I would feel safer camping just about any where, even just alongside the road than I would in Anchorage......it is a big city with typical big city crime.......one night if you absolutely have to, but two nights ?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anchorage campground

Boondocking is acceptable at "Fred's" (you'll see many others doing it) and is safe (though safe is relative to those that do "safe things"). You should buy needed supplies from the merchant whose parking lot you boondock with/at.

I sort of agree with mombear's sense of safe feeling on the camping along the road vs. being in the "big city"; but your being from Montreal, you'll find that Anchorage is really just a big town (that fortunately has some really cool big city amenities).

If you want to stay in Anchorage for one night, I'd boondock. If you are going to do 2 nights (& there's plenty of great thing to do in Anchorage to keep one busy for even more than 2 days), I'd head to the Golden Nugget (though you won't likely walk to any "attractions" from here).

Good luck,

Scott

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anchorage campground

For walking to attractions there is always Ship Creek RV- but then the train is right there.

In Anchorage proper, campgrounds are not a strong suit LOL

Edited: 30 May 2012, 16:34
8. Re: anchorage campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:17