We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

Orange county
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos

Flying in to Anchorage on Friday..so looking forward to it. Will be in Wonder lake later in the week. Do we need to prepare for mosquitos?

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

yes

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

Buy some mosquito head nets at your local sporting goods store. Wear long pants and long sleeved shirts. Insect repellant with a high concentration of DEET is good too.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

We will be at wonder lake when you are. Ask and we will happily share our DEET!

Orange county
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

woah...Thank you for the heads up. I guess we can find a mosquito head net when we get to Anchorage.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

You can find mosquito head nets at any Walmart for $5, or less.

Orange county
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

Thank you for that tip!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos

Maybe I travel to different Wonder Lake in Denali but never had a problem with mosquitoes in August. I never used a headnet and can't even recall using a bug spray. In June and the first part of July yes but mid-August? Never! I had a problem one time with horse flies in September but that wasn't near Wonder Lake. When is a beautiful sunny day I wear short sleeves and never had a problem. Are you camping there or going for a brief day visit? Regardless, be prepared so bring a bug spray.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

I was also going to add that I have never had issues with mosquitoes after the first week of August or so. I would bring bug spray just in case but they will be nothing like the mosquitoes that are there in June/July.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 16:37
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitos

We have fewer mosquitos here in my neighborhood in Anchorage than most summers and now almost none.

Fair Lawn, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitos

So good to hear although I just bought a head net. Thanks for info. We are going mid-August