We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Hello,

I will be arriving on Aug 31st (late morning) to Anchorage (cruise) and departing by plane the next day at 3PM.

Where should I stay? Is DT the way to go or it really doesn't matter and transportation is easy?

A bit disappointed by the hotels. Considring Capitain Cook, or Marriott or Historic hotel or...

Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

I'm not sure what "DT" is??

Why are you disappointed by the hotels?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

I meant Downtown.

Most hostels are on the old side. didn't find any one that looks slick/boutique. And it's expensive. I guess Anchorage is not a cheap city.

Oh well, it's just a day. Want to make the most of it.

Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Are you alone? Are you arriving into Whittier? How are you getting from the cruise to Anchorage?

If you "want to make the most of it" I would be figuring a way to rent a car in Whittier (or Seward?) and driving to Anchorage. You only have a day or more to see what you can in this very scenic area of the state. You can spend most of the first day just driving to Anchorage. Even if this means canceling a pre-booked cruise transfer it might be money well spent. Also, with your own vehicle you don't need to spend the night in Anchorage. I would suggest perhaps driving to the Matsu Valley and spending the night there. Palmer, Wasilla, even Talkeetna,. Then do some more sightseeing before returning to the airport by about 1pm for your 3pm flight.

Lodging will be cheaper in the Matsu Valley than in Anchorage.

Even if you can't/won't change your cruise transfer, you can still rent a car in Anchorage for the day. A small car costs $40-$60 for just over a day (if you squeeze it into a 24 hour rental the cost is even less). You will be able to do/see a lot in that time.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 00:08
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Maybe consider staying in a B&B in the Anchorage area rather than a hotel - you might find something nice and with much more character than the hotels. :)

And I agree with fti - get a car and explore as much as you can.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Thanks guys, I haven't taken the transfer yet. So will consider renting a car.

A for cost: it's not really an issue, it's juste the hotels that are available (borth of $250) did not seem worth it. But if it's worth spending a night at nchorage I don't have a problem with the cost per say. What is there to do anyways?

Should I consider going to Homer? it seems out of the way.

Also: what's the best way to rent car? we (2 of us) will be arriving at Seward early on Friday August 31st

Thanks again

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

I've stayed at the Ramada Inn (low cost option), the Anchorage Hilton (higher priced but a decent value) and Zoya's B&B (not much "charm" but a comfy place to stay in town). I would stay at any of these places again, depending on the type of trip and who I was traveling with.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 05:04
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

With the time you have, arriving into Seward, I don't think you have time to go and enjoy Homer. I agree, rent a car in Seward and make the most of your drive/time between Seward and Anchorage, and perhaps north to Wasilla/Palmer . . . understanding you will probably have a big drop off fee.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

I tried to rent a car in Seward but I don't see ANY option, through Kayak, priceline, hotwire or any other site. I also tried different site, like Avis, and it looks there is nothing there. Any recommendation where/how I can find a car?

And if I can't find a car: what the next best thing: train to Anchorage (if there is one?), bus?

Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Hertz is the only option in Seward. But figure $300 with drop charge.

Since you are coming into Seward not Whittier I would consider taking a Keni Fjords tour of six hours length then take the 6pm train to Anchorage. Well worth it too. But remember this is Labor Day weekend so lodging anywhere will be expensive and hard to come by.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Anchorage for a day?

Thanks. I'm out of luck. All car of ANY type at Hertz seem sold out for my date.

Failing that: are there tours that I can take in Seward and then take a train to Anchorage.

OR: get to anchorage (train? bus?) and then rent a car? Not sure what's the best option and how to get to booking websites (for Train or car)

Any places recommended to visit from Anchorage?

Again, thanks for the assist.