We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV next summer

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
RV next summer

Has anyone tried Alaska Family Motorhomes?

They have an older fleet, but claim they're very well maintained, and i don't need fancy, just clean and in decent shape.

I know GAH and ABC, but for about 1/3 less I figure it's worth asking about the smaller outfits...thanks!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV next summer

Haven't heard of them! PLEASE check with the better business bureau before giving them your business. There are some "bad guys" out there in the RV rental business. I'm definitely NOT saying they are one of them, but I'd sure want more information before renting.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV next summer

I would do EXTENSIVE research about this company before paying. I would even ask them directly why they are 1/3 less. My guess is their answer is that their RV's are older.

Yes, you only need clean and in decent shape, but the questions are How good of shape are older RV's in, What happens if you break down and are 250 miles or more from their base, do they accept credit cards, etc, etc.

Having heard so many horror stories about more than one RV rental company in Alaska if I rented I would use GAH or ABC. That is huge coming from such a budget traveler like me who tries to save money every step of the way.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,191 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV next summer

I too would tend toward GAH or ABC; but I welcome a reliable "new" vendor. Perhaps AFM is it.

I've only done a cursory look/search; but nothing bad (Alaska Court View, BBB, internet searches, etc.) has leaped out. Their web page looks legitimate; heck it even has their home address on it (Google Map & MUNI property search).

If they rent clean, reliable, older motorhomes (that's what their ad says), and they minimize overhead by not having a big piece of commercial real estate, there's a good reason they can be cheaper. They take credit cards, so they have to at least give what the contract they offer says.

If I was renting an RV, I'd be willing to give them a try if it saved me significant money.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV next summer

If GAH and ABC are the most expensive options, so be it. I want peace of mind for my vacation. An RV is your hotel room AND your transportation; if things don't go well, your vacation could be ruined.

It would be nice to have more competetion in the RV arena, but I'm not willing to risk my vacation on a new vendor. I read reviews and opinions for hotels; I want to do the same for RV vendors as well. I'll pay the extra $$ for tried and true.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV next summer

This guy is a local vehicle mechanic with his own repair shop as his primary business.

Wish there were some reviews of his RVs.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 16:34
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV next summer

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll keep looking and asking questions, from what I hear so far I'm (slightly) inclined to try the local, small businessman, because thats what I am:)

Hopefully someone will chime in with 1st hand experience.

Thanks you sdpryde for doing some legwork for me:) I did check the BBB also and there was nothing there.

Hey fti, where in MN are you? I'm in Duluth.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 22:44
7. Re: RV next summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:16