We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Alaskan Holidays

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
11 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Great Alaskan Holidays

Can't find any recent reports about renting RVs from them.

I checked on the BBB site and they are not listed from what I can find. I thought that was odd.

What is the general opinion of Great Alaskan Holidays as far as using them for RV Rentals?

We are planning a trip in June of 2013 to go up to Denali.

What would be considered to be "Must See" things up near Denali? Where do you park an RV there. Do you just go without facilities or is there a recommended RV park near Denali?

How long does it take to drive from Anchorage to Denali?

This is our first trip to Alaska so I have lots of stupid questions.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

Welcome to Trip Advisor and the AK Forums.

Your best source for answers is via search of the forums here. Once you've read some trip reports, you'll have a better idea of what is possible to see/do based on your individual & group interests and abilities.

To help you get started, here is a link to the blog I wrote (with photos) on our 2010 RV adventure in Alaska: bennettsgreatalaskanadventure.blogspot.com/ .

P.S. GAH is a very popular and reputable RV rental company and you should be able to find plenty of info here on TA.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

we rented from them aug 25 to sep 5, it was great, no issues and was a wonderful way to see alaska. Renting again next aug, first time RV renters. 25 foot, 3 adults, next year 28 foot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

5 hour drive from Anchorage to Denali, we went about 55, and stopped to make lunch.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

"I checked on the BBB site and they are not listed from what I can find. I thought that was odd."

bbb.org/alaska/business-reviews/motor-homes-…

"What would be considered to be "Must See" things up near Denali? Where do you park an RV there. Do you just go without facilities or is there a recommended RV park near Denali?"

http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

"I have lots of stupid questions"

I can have stupid answers, let 'em flow! :)

Scott

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

I find Teklanika campground one of the best deals in the park. One must reserve 3 nights & can't drive back out to the entrance until ready to leave. But it gets you 30 miles into the park which cuts out significant shuttle bus travel time each day to get deep into the park & up to the high tundra.

But the best deal with Tek campground is the TEK shuttle bus pass- one cheap fee but you can use it as much as you want during your stay at Tek. You get one reserved shuttle bus & the rest are "space available," but during my many stays there with husband & friends we never had trouble getting on & off shuttles. Sometimes we had to wait to the next shuttle, but what that's no problem.

Wildlife sightings early morning before the buses run out on the park road & down by the bridge & river & late evening- one of the best spots in the park to catch a glimpse of the evasive lynx if you are lucky!

None of Denali National Park campgrounds have hook- ups. There are hours for generator usage, toilets, spigots of water.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 15:43
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
11 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

Thank you all for your replies.

I have been reading and it seems like I am doing right by going with GAH. Don't know why I couldn't find them on the BBB site but thanks for the help with that too..

I appreciate all your suggestions. We will be going up to Denali, down to Seward and then over to Homer before heading back to Anchorage.

Want to see the park, do a fjord and whale watching tour and fish for Halibut. Beyond that just see the sights.

It will be just my wife and I in a 25' motor home. We go end of June into July for 10 days.

All of your help is most appreciated and I am also reading everything I can find here.

If you ever want to go to Cabo San Lucus MX contact me as I go there every year and have been for years so I can help with that but I am a rookie at Alaska! :)

Edited: 22 September 2012, 15:58
Mosinee, WI
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays for 11 nights last July. There were five of us in a 32 foot 2013 model. We were extremely pleased with the service and the motor home. I can't recommend them highly enough!

When in Denali, we stayed two nights at Riley Creek Campground in the park. We were also very pleased with this campground. I was concerned that it would be noisy because it was so close to the entrance, but it was very quiet. It is within walking distance of the Wilderness Access Center where all the park busses leave from. We took the earliest shuttle bus from WAC to Wonder Lake and back. It was a very enjoyable trip, and we were lucky enough to see the big five all in one day (moose, caribou, grizzly bear, wolf, and Doll sheep).

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

I loved the Teklanika campground for the reasons Denalicat mentioned. We also enjoyed the Savage River campground because of its outstanding views of the mountain. (We were lucky that it was out the whole time we were there). It shortens the ride to Wonder Lake some, but not nearly as much as Tek. We checked out Riley Creek and would not hesitate to stay there if we couldn't get into Tek or Savage River.

One of our very favorite campgrounds in the country is the city campground in Seward. It sits right on the water where the otters will entertain you. The city campgrounds on the spit in Homer are also great places to stay.

We've rented from GAH 3 times, and were satisfied customers. You'll have a great trip!

Laconia, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

We rented from Clippership RV rentals and would never rent with them again. Yes they are less expensive but BBB of the year (NO WAY) Here are the reasons why.

1) RV was sent out with a vibration that shook the whole rig. Tires were found not to be balanced properly.

2) Windshield wipers worked intermittently. The stopped working while it was raining. I called to report this and was told to just pull the wipers away from the window. They had ordered a new motor but it was not in yet.

3) Water coming out of the hot was around 180 degrees. When I explained that my daughter was scalded by it I was told I should have used more cold water.

4) Water hose was 6 feet long so we could not always hook to a water source.

5) Dump hose was 10 ft long so could not hook to dump when we were hooked to water and sometimes it just was not long enough at all

6) Exhaust vent was taped down and could not be opened for fresh air.

7) Management does not really care about you once they get your money. It is tough luck at that time. He figures you will never be back to Alaska anyway why worry what you think. Even if the issues could have caused an accident not his problem.

Now to be fair the rest of the staff was wonderful and just wanted to help the customer (They should be recognized for their efforts) but from talking to them the management staff tied their hands if it cost much money

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays

Bob, my guess is you booked solely on price. You get what you pay for. Also, you didn't have to resurrect old threads about other companies to make your point.