We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

Hi

Me and my Wife will still in Anchorage for 3 days in late feb to early march, we would like to experience the Fur rondy festival but also thinking about going to to Alyeska for snowboarding.

Do we need to spend a whole day or even 2 for the festival?

We were thinking spending the first day for the festival and drive to Alyeska at the evening and stay there for 2 night, would it be a good call?

any advise will be appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alyeska
Hotel Alyeska
2,260 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

Well, I certainly wouldn't miss the ceremonial start of the Iditarod sled dog race to Nome on the first Saturday of March if at all possible!

Do you have flights yet?

You will have to book lodging ASAP, since that is a very popular event.

Perhaps you should look at the Fur Rondy schedule to see what interests you. The running of the reindeer? The snow sculptures? Native Alaskan crafts? Etc:

http://www.furrondy.net/

Girdwood is wonderful in the winter & the view of the Turnagain on top of the ski lifts is awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

If you like sled dog racing (sprints) the Rondy is the first weekend of the festival . . . the Iditarod the second/last. Both are interesting and a fun time.

If you are interested in funny community theater, I would suggest getting tickets for the event held at the Snow Goose during Rondy week. We (3 of us) did it in 2011 and had a good time.

There is a shuttle through Anchorage for Rondy goers, so you can get around the downtown area pretty conveniently, leaving the rental car at your hotel. Speaking of rental cars, look for a hotel that has free parking. The downtown Hilton as an example, charges around $20-$25/day. It is a very convenient location in terms of the activities on 4th Ave. I think we got rooms for $99/night so even with the parking fee, it was not outrageous. OH - but you will also pay for in-room WiFi access :(

A better deal if you're willing to take a step-down in quality & amenities is the Ramada Inn. I stayed there for around $65 night, free parking and right on the Rondy Shuttle route. Also free WiFi and a hot breakfast buffet are included.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

Fur Rondy should definitely get a at least two days of your time. There are a ton of events going on and it's a great people-watching opportunity as well, as many locals wear their fur hats, coats, and mittens.

The Running of the Reindeer and the Outhouse Races are always fun, as is the traditional Blanket Toss (still using walrus hide). New in the past couple of years is Yukigassen, an organized snowball fight. There's the carnival, the Native Arts Market, snowshoe softball, snow sculpture contest, and of course, the sprint dog mushing races, which are always exciting.

Anchorage also has a ton of excellent restaurants, so if you can take time to eat at some, you should!

Have fun on your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

Dang! I would spend the whole week at Fur Rondy before going to Alyeska, and I enjoyed Alyeska, too. It's just that Fur Rondy has so much going on that you won't find at any other fair.

Sled Dog races

Outhouse races

Running with the Reindeer

Fireworks over the frozen cook inlet with snow capped mountains in the background

Blanket Toss

Ice Sculpture carvings

and on and on

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alyeska
Hotel Alyeska
2,260 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
5. Re: how many days should I stay for Fur Rondy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 07:18