We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Airport

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage Airport

How easy is Anchorage airport to get in and out of in August? How long before my flight should I arrive? If I rent and return a car at the airport, how long will that take? Thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage Airport

Not sure about time for car rental, but the Anchorage airport is fairly small and easy to negotiate. I would show up 2 hrs prior to your flight. :)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage Airport

This year I worked the last two months of our visitor season at the airport, 50 to 60 hours a week and can tell you it gets busy going through the security checkpoint. Do make sure to be at the airport at least two hours early. The lines at the various reservation counters can be intensely long as well. Returning your rental car will most likely be at the airport and a shirt walk to the terminal. Having not rented a car in my town, I can't help you with how long those lines get because I don't walk by them. Deb

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage Airport

I've walked in behind a couple tour buses full of people before and never needed more than an hour. The fact that you don't have to walk for half an hour to get to your gate make negotiating things a lot easier. I'd say an hour and a half to be on the safe side- with that you probably won't have time for a beer or a meal, but definitely time to go to the bathroom and grab a bottle of water.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage Airport

My home town is about the size of Anchorage and the airport here is easy to get in and out of. In general. But, the last trip I took, the flight was delayed for 6 hours. I had time for a meal and a few beers! :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,965 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage Airport

Hi, it would help to know which airline and the time of day as they can make a huge difference!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage Airport

Actually, regardless of the airline or time of day, I would say to leave 2 hours from the time you arrive at the airport with your car rental until your flight departure. If you are flying first class or have elite status with an airline, then you can reduce that by a good 1/2 hour since you cut into both the check-in and security lines. Anchorage airport can be very busy, especially with morning and evening flights, but if you are flying Alaska Air, I have seen more than once that their first class/elite check-in line is closed so you need to stand in line with everyone else. So in those cases, you are still stuck in lines regardless of the time of day you fly.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage Airport

At this point I don't know when I'll be flying or which airline(s) I'll be taking. I have some vouchers that I need to use this year. So, I'll just have to see what I can work out.

Thanks for the replies.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,461 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage Airport

"Hi, it would help to know which airline and the time of day as they can make a huge difference"

Exactly. Nights are very busy.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage Airport

FYI. Looks like a lot of the flights back to the lower 48 depart around midnight. So, plan accordingly.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage Airport

Early morning and mid day can also be very busy in the summer. Tour busses drop off bus loads of passengers and the line at the counter is extremely long and then they all head to security. Your best bet to avoid problems is to arrive at the airport at least two hours early. If you miss a plane, it is costly and planes fly full in the summer. Deb

P.S. A frequent overhead message at the airport is the "three call countdown" for passengers to catch their plane before they give up the seat. Sometimes folks are delayed because of connection problems.....but there is also that mentality of "how busy could the airport really be?". As a person that works at the airport and goes through security all day long..... It can be very busy. LOL......and it can be very quiet.