We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
264 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Finally booked my air and my cruise and now i have to work on the land pre and post. We arrive in anchorage at 1;30am .. I thought we'd do two nights in anchorage so we can acclimate - but the rates are so expensive ($250 and up per night), now I'm wondering if we should get out sooner?

I figure since we are arriving so late/early, we should wait until the next day to rent a car downtown -I've read the cost is lower w/o the airport pick up ... So we'll have to calculate the cost of another method of transport to get to the hotel, as well.

Can you recommend a nice hotel or inn or b&b that's not quite as pricey? We are arriving mid-week, end of July.

We have six nights until we get on the cruise and beyond a min of two nights at or near Denali - I haven't worked it out yet.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Rachel

California
Level Contributor
225 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Just a thought.... would you consider renting an RV? We arrived at about the same time as you and paid for that night in the RV. Took a cab to the RV Place (Great Alaskan Holidays), spent the night in the RV, then did the orientation in the morning and off we went! The RV was around $200/night. I couldn't find a car less than $100/day, so it seemed like a bargain to me.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

We are paying $140 for a room at The Coastal Trail B&B. It is not far from the airport. It gets ok reviews and the owner seems very pleasant. We have not stayed there before.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
264 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

I'm not much of a camper and I'm wary of a pay for mileage situation... Six days is coming in at $1345 plus 17cents per mile and gas ... And that's before any ad-ons. What kind of mileage do these get? Are any miles included?

California
Level Contributor
225 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

We got about 10 mpg in our 25' RV. We drove 880 miles in a week with gas about $3.89, so about $350 in gas. I got the unlimited mileage price with RV, so I didn't have to worry about how far we went.

Just another thing to consider...

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Look for a hotel which provides a complimentary airport shuttle to avoid the taxi fee to the hotel........Getting your rental car the next day from a downtown location will probably save you money and maybe you can find one that will pick you up at the hotel.......

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
264 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Is there a list of which hotels provide a shuttle? Which rental cars pick up? Enterprise?

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Some of the hotels I know that have shuttles are the Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites at the airport, Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn, both SpringHill Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites. The Homewood Suites may also have a shuttle. I think Enterprise may pick up, but not sure. Also check rates at the airport. I have gone back the next day when my flight had gotten in late. I know Dollar is open until 2:00 a.m. at the airport.

Hewitt, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

I am also traveling to Anchorage and plan to stay at Clarion Suites in downtown because they have 24 hr shuttle and are very near the Avis where I will pick up my car the next AM.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
264 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Did you book your car direct?

New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Rachelfran ... This is just our experience and may or may not meet your needs. On two trips to AK we arrived late at night into Anchorage and chose to spend two nights. Each time we stayed at the Wildflower B&B. The taxi from the airport was reasonable. The first year we were there we spent our full day walking around downtown and visiting the Rasmussen Museum. The second year we spent time on the Tony Knowles Trail, taking part in the 4th of July festivities and taking the free bus to the Native Heritage Museum. We then got our car the next morning from Enterprise in town and went on our way. Worked well for us and we felt rested when we started out. We loved walking around downtown and the neighborhoods.