We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch near the airport

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lunch near the airport

Hello,

Our group will be arriving at the airport around 11am and renting cars. Some of us will be driving to Seward for the night and the rest will be driving to Denali for a few days. Is there a good restaurant we can all have lunch together near the airport before we go our separate ways?

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch near the airport

Moose's Tooth - period!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch near the airport

Just realize that Moose's Tooth is nowhere near the airport and can have a long wait, even at lunch time.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch near the airport

The Seward Highway is the way out of Anchorage going north and south, so this would be a good location. The most busy times at Moose's Tooth are evenings. I have never waited more than about 15 minutes around the lunch hour. It's good food, and a fun experience. Near the airport there is no place I would recommend - definitely not Gwennies.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch near the airport

I guess I have always condidered Moose's Tooth as being near the airport but it will have long waits especially for a large group. I have waited 1/2 hour or so at lunch (groups of 6 from work), the addition has helped a bit with wait times. Maybe The Peanut Farm or for a touristy experience The Sourdough Mining Company.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 21:30
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lunch near the airport

http://spenardroadhouse.com/ isn't too far . . .

I am not as familar with Anchorage - it all seems close to me when you live so far out of town, but you can do a search with your map feature - I just typed in restaurants near Anchorage airport and a bunch popped up. Good luck! :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lunch near the airport

Spenard Roadhouse is also an excellent choice. I have reviewed and rated both Moose's Tooth and Spenard Roadhouse. You might want to check out Yelp and Trip Advisor's restaurant reviews. As I said, the Seward Highway would be pretty ideal for both parties to head out from there north and south.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lunch near the airport

Moose's Tooth might be a good experience because it would be relatively convenient for parties going both north & south (proximity to the Seward Hwy). Depending on the day of the week it will be busy. Mon.-Thu it will be less busy at lunch; but on Fri-Sun at lunch (especially in summer) it will be busy and likley have a 20 minute to 40 minute wait.

Peanut Farm, SourDough & Arctic Roadrunner are all close to the "Old Seward Hwy" & Int'l Airport Blvd. These places are okay; but you won't catch me at the SourDough (yuck - IMO).

I haven't been to Spenard Roadhouse; but it has been getting generally good reviews from people I know that have gone to it.

If you have a question about any place you have heard of. Let us know and we'll get back to you on it/them.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lunch near the airport

What I found is to take most recommendations with a grain of salt. It depends on what part of the country you are coming from. My Thai friend calls AK Thai, California style. I liked it. My Texas friend calls AK Mexican, Spanish food, not mexican. And Moose's Tooth pizza to me is like our bar pizza. Yet my friends from the MidWest thinks its great. What I do find is that although many places are rustic, they all appear to be clean. I can honestly say, that I have never gotten a bad meal in AK. Just some are not to my taste.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lunch near the airport

How many are in your party? That may make a difference as to the recommendations given.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lunch near the airport

THE place to go is gwennies.

http://gwenniesrestaurant.com/

Near the airport and packed with locals. Don't know if you can make reservations but if your group is more than a few I would.