We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food with a View....

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Food with a View....

We are staying at the Comfort Inn Ship's Creek for a couple of nights prior to our cruise in early June. I'm researching restaurants that have water views if possible, so already on my list are Simon's and the restaurant in the Millennium Hotel (can't remember name) that have been mentioned in the forum. I'd like to get a few more options from the locals if possible. Simon's and the other place appeal to me. I'd also like your thoughts on the Bridge restaurant, as there aren't many reviews and they're mixed. My boyfriend probably would prefer a sports bar or other more casual place (even though I know he could go anywhere in his jeans cause you all said so...), so any recommendations there would also be appreciated. Our preferences are for "American" fare (burgers, pizza, steak, seafood....). Thanks for your help - I've been planning our cruise for two years, and have stalked this forum and Cruise Critic almost non-stop - I'm VERY excited to finally be under 100 days!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food with a View....

My first thought was Simon's. We like appetizers/happy hour in the bar with a window seat.

The Snow Goose fits your criteria:

dscreationsgklopfer.intuitwebsites.com/

As does the Crows Nest on the top of Captain Cook Hote, finer diningl:

http://www.captaincook.com/dining/crows-nest

Most of the sports bars have TV views!

Edited: 03 March 2013, 18:27
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food with a View....

The deck on the roof at The Snow Goose is a great spot. The Crow's Nest at Captain Cook is nice but a bit more formal.

I likes The Bridge when I ate there but didn't realise it was still open, for some reason I had thought it closed.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food with a View....

The Bridge did close and has been reopened by Chef Al. Be careful which reviews you are reading. I have always like his restaurants.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food with a View....

LOL, Denalicat, that's why my BF wants to go, and since I've planned everything else, want to throw him a bone here and there to keep him happy! I like watching sports, too, but wanted the views for when my attention span wanes - then we're both happy....

Thanks for thoughts on the other places; I've read the reviews on all of them, but did want more of the local perspective rather than the tourist one-time viewpoints. We'll have two nights in Anchorage, so maybe we'll go to a nicer place the first night and keep it casual the second night, since we'll be coming back from being in Whittier all day. I know, I'm greedy, but still want as many views as I can get!

I believe the latest review on the Bridge was from January; the rest were from September 2012 and before. The one from January was positive so I guess that's a good sign, depending on when it changed ownership...

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food with a View....

If you are going to be coming from Whittier, you might check out Seven Glaciers at Girdwood:

alyeskaresort.com/dining/seven-glaciers-rest…

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food with a View....

Thanks, AK, but we're taking the train to/from Whittier...sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post. I have seen it recommended in other threads though - guess we'll just have to do another trip to Alaska and make Girdwood a stop, along with Denali and other places we can't hit this time around...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,191 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food with a View....

IMO for water views it's Simons or Crows Nest. Snow Gooses's roof has a great view with awful food (even for bar food). Millennium is water view, but it's just a lake.

Good luck.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food with a View....

Scott, the Snow Goose is hit or miss. I've been there about four times in the last six months (because my Microsoft guy loves their beer) and I had good things and bad things. The smoked salmon dip is good, the burgers are good and the flatbreads are not that great. So, while I agree with calling it awful last Summer, I've had several good meals lately. The deck can get pretty busy though and their service gets slow, so don't go if you are in a hurry.

The Millennium has quite a few TVs, but you'll have to stay inside to see them. I like sitting out on the deck for the best view of the float planes taking off and landing. Maybe inside by a window close to the deck would be a good compromise.

But make sure your husband understands that even the nice restaurants are laid back up here. No wait staff is going to give you bad service or make you feel uncomfortable in jeans up here. Not even the Crow's Nest. Simon's is really good food and if he wants more casual, you could always sit in the bar.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food with a View....

I agree with alaskantiger, Snow Goose is really hit or miss but I have never had a bad burger there. It is one of those places that co-workers chose often as the after work meeting place, I think for the beer. I tried a few different dishes and settled on burger or chicken sandwich. The menu is limited but for a casual meal with a view it's not that bad, YMMV.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food with a View....

For a great burger, killer onion "rings" - pieces actually, and a nice outdoor seat next to Campbell Creek (trout and salmon present) hit the Arctic Roadrunner on Old Seward Hwy (also on Arctic, but OSH is the better site IMO.)

Edited: 05 March 2013, 16:02