We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Anchorage to Seward

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Anchorage to Seward

Am going on a cruise from seward but probably flying into anchorage.

1) What are options to get to Seward?

2) Places to stay overnight in Anchorage??

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

(1) rent a car, take the train, take a shuttle/bus, taxi, fly a private charter

(2) a hundred or so motel/hotels, B&Bs, hostel(s)

Edited: 14 March 2013, 14:30
maryland
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

what do some of these cost? it is a one way trip (will not be going back to anchorage

thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

I do not know. You'll have to try searching/googling these.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

Hertz is the only car rental you can do a one way with and when I got a quote last year they were more than a taxi for $350. bus $60+ train $75+

$100+ for hotel You could try Hotwire or Priceline if your not picky.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

If you want to go direct to Seward, I recommend the train if it is in your budget. This is the most scenic stretch of RR in the interior of AK.

Fare pricing for the Coastal Classic:

alaskarailroad.com/travel/…Default.aspx

Schedule For the Coastal Classic Route from Anchorage to Seward:

alaskarailroad.com/travel/…Default.aspx (click on Coastal Classic)

You could also rent a car and stop along the way. One way rentals are costly, but sometimes the best option.

Here are some places you can see along the way:

http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

Per Happytraveler "You could also rent a car and stop along the way. One way rentals are costly, but sometimes the best option."

Depending on how many people you have, renting a car may be the best option.......but we cannot determine that.......you will have to research the rates and see whichever is best for your group.......

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

Your cruise ship company will have transfer/Anchorage accommodation packages available. AK Railroad, Park Connection motor coach, Seward Bus Lines, tour/transfer companies. Do not take a taxi. It's 125 miles Anchorage/Seward.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

If you have a larger party of about 4 or more a taxi isn't the worst option, it's about 30 dollars more than the train. It costs $350 for PJs to take you to Anchorage and you get a personal tour along the way on your time table.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed taking the train between Seward and Anchorage (only extra booked thru our cruise). It is a unique, beautiful experience with knowledgeable tour guide onboard with running commentary about area. Train stops to view eagles, moose, etc along the tracks, and the train travels thru several tunnels. Great photos can be taken by standing by the open windows on the doors between cars. Alaska RR knows how to run a great rail service and is so much cleaner and well run than the Amtrak trains I regularly take on the East coast. We are returning to Alaska late spring and hope to take a short train excursion (perhaps the Hurricane train from Talkeetna), even though we have a rental car for the duration of our trip.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Anchorage to Seward

We were arriving in Anchorage on March 8th and were planning to take the train to Fairbanks March 9th because the winter train only runs north on Saturdays. Anyway the train was booked from Anchorage to Talkeetna but had seats available from Talkeetna to Fairbanks. I researched the web & asked questions about my options. One of the suggestions was the Magic Bus company. I called and spoke directly with the owner Tim. He was very helpful in setting up a transfer for us at the last minute (3 days advance) He also called me back and said another gentleman was in the same situation as us (needed to get to Fairbanks but no seats on train between Anchorage/Talkeetna) so the price was divided between the 4 of us which lowered our rate. Tim picked us up personally from our hotel then we went straight to railroad station in Anchorage. We tagged our luggage to Fairbanks then gave it to the handlers then went outside and met up with our driver and the other gentleman. We were transported in a nice SUV for the 2 hour trip to Talkeetna. The driver was very nice & informative along the route. We had a great time and arrived 45 minutes before the train was scheduled to arrive. We would have arrived earlier but we stopped for a bathroom break right before getting to Talkeetna. I highly recommend considering the Magic Bus as an option for transportation needs especially if you are like us and need one way transportation.