We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

I am staying in a hotel in the area near the airport, and would like to know if that is an area that I should be careful in. The hotel is on Minnesota Drive I believe.

Thank you in advance!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

Ugh, hope that isn't the Super 8. Last time I stayed there a man broke in through the window while me and my family where asleep. The noise of the curtains being pushed aside woke me up. The staffs' reaction was terrible and they BARELY moved us to a room upstairs. It was like we disturbed their night and they were pissed about it. Really, I can't stress enough how badly we were treated for something that we didn't do. We were the victims but we sure were not treated as such.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,931 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

There are some parts of the Spenard area which are rather "colorful" but I think most of the hotels closest to the airport are fine and an okay area. Yes, avoid the Super 8 - but there are lots of others to choose from. Good luck! :)

New York
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

Thanks for the tips and advice.

Unfortunately, I will be staying at Super 8 for two nights. It was that or Lakeshore Motor Inn where someone's luggage grew legs and walked away without the hotel staff noticing.

Hopefully, my stay will be uneventful.

Thanks again for the information.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

We've got reservations at the Puffin Inn (4400 Spenard) for one night next week. Is this hotel considered to be in an OK area? We wanted something close to the airport since we're getting in late and plan to head out to Denali the next morning. We were able to reserve a deluxe room at a special rate by booking by March 31.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

The Puffin Inn is nice. My parents stayed there. It's on one of the much better parts of Spenard.

6. Re: Is the area area near the airport in Anchorage bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 08:17