We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
251 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

My husband are headed to alaska for a cruise out of Whittier... We have six nights before the cruise.

First night we arrive from NYC via SEA in ANC at 1:30am. We pick up a rental the next day downtown and are headed to Seward. Should we overnight near the airport and then cab downtown to pick up a car later that day? Or get to a downtown hotel late and wake up downtown?

Our rental is with enterprise. Would they pick us up from the airport to get a car from downtown?

Two days later we are driving from Seward to Healy and are stopping in ANC enroute. Will probably eat dinner before we get there so need a room where we can park and get back on the road easily.

Our last stay is the night before our cruise. We'll be driving back from Healy. Will return the car downtown, in the morning before taking the train to Whittier. Might be in town for dinner so a downtown location where we can walk would be nice.

Would love your suggestions for these three one night stays .. Ideally in the $150-175 range.

Thanks!!

Thanks for your thoughts

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

I don't think Enterprise can pick you up at the airport. Call and find out the pickup radius for whichever office you're renting from. Ideally, you'll get a hotel that has an airport shuttle and is within the Enterprise radius. Holiday Inn Express on Spenard?

As for the Seward - Anc- Healy drive, it might be cheaper to stay on the outskirts of Anchorage, either a little south or north of depending on how busy your day is. If south, stay in Girdwood (hidden creek, glacier view, or carriage house b&b's) or north stay in Wasilla at Best Western on Lake Lucille. Both locations are within an hr of Anchorage.

For an Anchorage hotel or B&B for your last night, look at the trip reports or use expedia. I stayed in a dump, Puffin Inn, so can't offer a recommendation! For B&B's I have Susitna Place and Wildflower Inn in my notes, and the Comfort Inn. Or stay in Wasilla again. Good luck with your search.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 05:53
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

For your last night since you have to return your rental & taking the train, downtown would be handy & it is fun down there.

Susitna Place B&B has reasonable rates, but I would jump on it right away! . You could even use the same place for all 3.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

It may be difficult to find lodging in Anchorage in the 150-175 dollar range, quality that is. Holiday Inn Express has a courtesy shuttle from the airport. We always stay there (but that is off season when we get our resident rate). The train leaves at 10.00 for Whittier. The Princess shuttle leaves around noon and is cheaper than the train. If it is a train ride you want, then take the Coastal Classic to Seward and back. Leaves at 6.45 a.m. and returns at 10.15 p.m. The times are coordinated for Kenai Fjords tours, which I assume you are going there in the first place.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

This last reply is very confusing to me ... We are taking the train from anchorage to Whittier on our last day and taking a PWS cruise before boarding our cruise.

The Seward trip is a different day and we are driving down so we can sightsee along the way - and we'll overnight in Seward the night before our cruise.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

Hi, it will be difficult to find a hotel you would like staying in under $200 in Anchorage during summer (May through September). I would stay close to the airport on the first night at a hotel with a shuttle so that you can get to the hotel without worrying about driving in a strange place when you are exhausted . I would think about the Holiday Inn Express. They include a breakfast in their rate and that's something to consider in prices. Then the next morning, have Enterprise pick you up. Their office is fairly close by.

I see the HIE is at $202 plus taxes right now.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 17:34
Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

How are you getting $202 for HIE? I'm seeing $223 and that's plus tax and for prepay. Regular non prepay rates are even more. How can I get the $202 rate?

Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

Just FYI, Susitna Place has $145 rooms with private bath & $115 rooms with shared bath.

http://www.susitnaplace.com/

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

It was on the HIE website (www.ihg.com) this morning for May 15. What are your dates?

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

okay - that's way - we're traveling in july - highest season -- so all rates are higher...

Car rental company says we can pick up at their midtown location if we get a hotel there instead of downtown and we can drop it off downtown - no extra charge -- which is helpful since we'll drop it off and head over to the train right away .. so a hotel with a shuttle to the midtown area or downtown is acceptable for the first night and then enterprise can pick us up from either for the car rental ... Sustina is a good option but we would still need to pay to get ourselves there - though even if the cab is $20 -- it's still cheaper than most of the hotels - so it's probably the best bet for the first night -

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three different one night anchorage stays - hotel or B&B sug

check in at 2am with a B&B might be an issue.

Try the Rodeway Inn by the airport ... shuttle and b'fast, or the Microtel.

Do a search on Expedia or similar, specifying a room with airport shuttle, under $200.