We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
46 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

I will be arriving Anchorage airport on 2.00 am. 12 June 2013 (midnite) from Los Angeles.

i would like to know:-

a) is there any taxi available during this time and if so how much from airport to Alaska Backpackers Inn, 409 Eagle Street, Anchorage, Alaska, USA 99501.

b) do I need to pre book a taxi before arrival in view of the late arrival?

c) I may also consider sleeping in the airport until next morning. Is there any shuttle bus running from airport to downtown ? What is the operating hours and how much it cost?

Your assistance greatly required...help!

thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

Late night arrival & departures are the "norm" in Anchorage. You will have no problem getting a taxi. It should be about $15 to $20 for a taxi. You do not ned to pre-book the taxi.

I'm not sure about shuttle buses from airport to downtown.

Mentioned in this post
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

Not sure about a shuttle bus, but the public bus travels from the airport to downtown. You have to change buses to get to the Backpackers Inn, but it is possible if you don't have much luggage and if you stay in the airport overnight it could work. I think it will be about 7am before the bus operates from the airport.

After claiming your luggage there really is not a great place to camp out at the airport for the night. The best place I can think of (if it is not closed off) is at the L gates, where Grant and Era Aviation depart from. There are better places to crash airside, but once you claim your luggage you can't get back airside. It would be risky to stay airside overnight and try to claim your luggage the next morning. Most airlines aren't open 24 hours so you might not be able to get your luggage in the morning if you don't claim it right away when you arrive.

Check with the hostel about their procedure for late-night check in. I stayed there once several years ago and if I recall, they didn't have a 24 hour reception. Another option is the Spenard Hostel, which is very close to the airport (though not really walking distance).

Edited: 30 April 2013, 04:44
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

People Mover Route 7A stops at the airport. The first bus in the morning is at 6:47am.

muni.org/Departments/…007.htm

Malaysia
Level Contributor
46 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

HI sdpryde / fti / AKStafford

THANKS A MILLION for the great help.

I think I will take the taxi because it may be too cold to sleep in the airport. Since I come from a hot country, Malaysia..the night cold will definitely be an issue to me sleeping without a thick blanket.

Cheers...Chua Ban Hoo

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

The airport is fully enclosed and heated...

Malaysia
Level Contributor
46 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

Hi AKStafford

Wow...heated room, that is great. Thanks..It is a bonus to my cold body.

Cheers..Chua Ban Hoo

7. Re: Arriving 1.30 am. midnite - Any taxi, how much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:17