We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Good Day,

So gonna be on a cruise and apparently I booked to closely so I won't have much shopping opportunity - my biggest will be in Anchorage.

Will be arriving there on May 30 @ 7PM. Gonna stay at the Clarion Suites Downtown - I looked at the map and it is in downtown. Anyway, thing is I've never been to Alaska so I'm unsure of the town layout.

Hoping you guys can recommend some shops that I should look into. I understand gotta make sure it's made in Alaska... not sure what to get other than an Ulu Knife - but hoping when I enter the shops I'd find something there that I'd want when I see it.

Any shop recommendations?

Thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Did you forget that you already posted the same question just a few days ago??

tripadvisor.com/…49554200

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Exactly why do you have to shop in Anchorage other than the fact they have no sales tax? If you are on a cruise you can do your shopping at the ports you visit. And, Alaska made ulu knives are available outside Anchorage. Couple of months ago we bought one in Homer as a gift, which included a DVD on how to use it. The DVD was very good. We have our own ulu and it is used all the time. And, don't put it in the dishwasher. Just wipe the blade off

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Check the link i posted to the other thread. All your answers k2iks are answered there.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

This is different - here it's just Anchorage and SPECIFIC locations in that city - specially since I have to wake up @ 5AM to make it to the railroad (since you gotta check in 1 hour early)......

The other tread is a generally what to look for and where to shop @ all ports... I'm realizing I have no time @ the other ports and I want to focus on Anchorage to maximize my trip + souvenirs.

FYI I plan on taking LOTS of pix! I have 6 32GB SD Cards, 2 cameras, bought 3 movie recording cameras (hands free and tiny with clip-in on my shirt).

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Make a nice canvas print of one of your pictures when you return and then you have no need to shop :-).

Also, all regulars on the Alaska forum read all the forums, so there is no need to repost. Some people don't respond to multiple posts about the same or similar requests, so you actually do yourself a disservice by posting similar (though slightly different) questions on multiple threads.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

If you check my answer in the other post I think I answered your specific question for Anchorage. I will addthat you may find some Alaska made products at Walmart, Fred Meyer and CARRS stores. I know those places sell Ulus and Birch bowls made in Alaska.

Alaska
Level Contributor
228 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

I think that's the clarion that used to be the Hawthorne, by Benihanas. There aren't any shops right near there. Wal-Mart actually has a huge selection of AK t-shirts. For more interesting souvenirs, I've thought the princess hotels generally have nice gift shops. Your hotel may have a shuttle that will take you downtown to souvenir shops or to the 5th ave mall which has some souvenir shops.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

It isn't much of a walk from 8th Ave. to shops in our downtown area. I would simply head toward town and pop into the little art galleries you will find sprinkled all over. There are price points from high to low and nice that you know to avoid anything other than "Made in Alaska". Walmart would not be on my list of places to buy souvenirs, unless you want generic, made elsewhere junk.

Enjoy your time spent in our great state of Alaska! We hope to have beautiful, warm weather for your visit and that's great cause spring has had a slow arrival this year! I've lived here fifty years and will say you have good taste in choosing to visit Alaska! Take care, Deb

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

Depending on how much $$ you want to spend - try the Alaska Native Medical Center gift shop. They sell handcrafted goods (all made by Alaska natives), everything from baskets, ivory, dolls, slippers, jewelery. Beautiful stuff. Only open from 10am to 2pm (Mon - Fri). No credit cards, cash & checks only.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to shop for Alaskan souvenirs in Anchorage?

I'm an Alaskan. If your looking for good shopping for Alaskan Tourist type gifts there are many locally owned and operated shops along 4th & 5th ave. in Downtown Anchorage. Just about every small town you go to from Ketchikan to Fairbanks has lots of gift shops available.