We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaluma, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

I'll be in Anchorage for 5 weeks this summer for work. I'd like to stay in a nice neighborhood where there are things to do in walking distance from the hotel. My work is in midtown but I'm wondering if I should stay in downtown. Any suggestions on places for an extended stay?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

Hotel rooms in Anchorage can run $200 to $300 a night in the summer, unless you stay at a B&B. What is your budget like?

Level Contributor
595 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

Are you looking for a hotel? The Residence Inn in midtown has kitchens. I like midtown, but I would want a car. Will you have one? Of course, you can walk around downtown, but I never stay down there.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

What do you "want to do"? If you want access to our great outdoors, I'd pick the Springhill Suites at University Lake. If you want access to a wide variety of restaurants and arts, then pick somewhere downtown. Midtown would be my last choice to stay in.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

I'd check out vrbo.com. They have some places that get a good bit cheaper if you are renting them for a month or more. I checked and saw some nice ones still available near downtown and the South Addition (which puts you near Westchester Lagoon and the Coastal Trail for some nice evening bikes to walks as well as close to downtown. Or, if you're a hiker, you could look at a place up on the Hillside- especially if you can find a mother-in-law suite that isn't way bigger than you need and reasonably priced. I think even a bigger place would be cheaper than all but the worst hotels. For example, I found this one and if you're there for a month, it's only about $140/night:

http://www.vrbo.com/475139

I'm sure there's even better deals, but you should jump on it now before places get partly filled on the days you want. Be aware of the cleaning fees, though. They can get pricy at some places.

Petaluma, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

Thanks for the information. The VRBO rental looks great. If that doesn't work out, I think a hotel near the downtown so I can use the coastal trail for hikes/bikes in the evening and be able to walk to a restaurant would be good. Ideally I'd have a kitchen. Any recommendations for hotels in the downtown area, close to the coastal trail?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

http://www.anchoragegrand.com/

We've stayed here before.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

I really like staying near Delancy Park strip and the Coastal Trail just south of downtown. Don't miss New Sagaya City Market at 13th and I for great fresh produce, espresso, groceries, baked goods and an amazing hot and cold deli for takeout or eat-in and the stupendously delicious Fire Island Bakery at 14th and G. I dream about their hearty savory scones and chewy, creamy, peanut butter cookies.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

If you don't find anything good on vrbo, check out this:

anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/3788299796.html

and this site:

http://shortstayak.com/anchoragerentals/

I know nothing about these, but the ShortStay web site looks good for what you need.

Petaluma, California
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

Thanks for all the help and inside information. Very much appreciated.

Petaluma, California
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Good neighborhood to stay in for 5 weeks?

Alaskan Tiger,

I want to let you know I booked the house from the link you sent. Very pleased to have a rental and not a hotel. Thanks for your help!

Bill