We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Silverdale...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

My 2 older sons (age 19 & 22) and I fly from SEA to Anchorage today for 2 days of fishing on the Kenai Penninsula. Monday we drive from Soldotna for our Anchorage flight at 7:30 PM, so we have that day to side trip/sightsee. For sure we want to go to Portage Lake to do the boat tour. What else could we do that day which is no or low cost before catching our flight? I'm considering Seward to see Exit Glacier but am not sure I want to do the 2 hour side trip off the route. I've never seen Anchorage itself on my 2 previous trips (but this is a first time AK visit for my sons). Our interests would include scenery (glaciers), wildlife, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage is cheap.

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

The Begich-Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Lake is free. It opens tomorrow for the season.

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/…

The Winner Creek Trail at Alyeska is free:

www.yelp.com/biz/winner-creek-trail-girdwood

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

You could take a very easy hike/walk into Byron Glacier (great mountain valley):

Byron Glacier hike/walk (play on the toe of a glacier - keep a plastic shopping bag available for a sled)

see:

…usda.gov/recarea/…

or

www.rei.com/passport/Byron-Glacier-Trail

I also like the Winner Creek trail mentioned above (it has a hand tram over a gorge - awesome)

- Winner Creek Trail (awesome hand tram & gorge)

see: www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Winner.htm (start from the "mine" end)

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

Thanks - many good suggestions. I had considered Alyeska/Girdwood area at least since we are all skiers (so...just curious). Hike with hand tram sounds very good. What is the round trip hike time?

Other things near Portage are very possible as well. Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

If you do the Winner Creek hike from the mine end of the trail it will be about 1.5 hours round trip. After crossing the gorge make sure you continue at least another 100-200yds to the creek/rapids.

5. Re: 3-4 Hours to Kill - Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16