We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week car rental

new york
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 week car rental

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2 week car rental from Anchorage. Going down to Homer. Thanks for your time in a response

Ohio
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week car rental

Car rentals are really expensive in Anchorage unless you book them a year in advance. I booked in Nov. and with taxes am still paying about $800--I have an extra day that is costing me $100. When will you be travelling? I am getting emails from all the car rental agency websites and they are listing last minute discounts up to about July 1.

To avoid airport taxes, reserve your car at a downtown agency and return the car to the airport. There is no extra charge for the airport return. I do believe that some agencies will also deliver the car to your hotel. There is a car rental right next to the Captain Cook Hotel, if you are staying there.

Check Hotwire to get an idea for rates to beat. Use the Entertainment Book coupons (some are not accepted--Hertz $25 off works). AAA also offers a discount with Hertz.

I am still checking so will let you know if I find a discounted rate.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week car rental

If you can pick up a car off airport, it might be cheaper. But, if you decide to rent at the airport, the best rate for a two week rental that I've found for the end of August is with Alamo.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 17:21
port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week car rental

book the best rate you can find and keep looking for better rates

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week car rental

FYI. I booked earlier this year. Since then, the price has dropped twice and I cancelled the old reservations and made new ones. But, checking today, the price has gone up. As stated above, keep checking even after you make your reservation for a better price.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 20:53
new york
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week car rental

thanks for your reply. I am traveling July 29 Monday thru Aug 11 Sunday.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
17 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week car rental

We're planning a 17 day trip second week of Aug and also did the car vs RV rental. Decided on car for a couple of reasons, cost mainly. My spread sheet showed car abt $2k advantage over RV. We RV'd several times in the states and love it. Big RV advantage is they're allowed on non paved roads, but not the Dalton or McCarthy. The Denali hwy is very attractive and I'll probably wish I had done the RV after it's all over! There are two us, mid 70's, active, but sorta glad I don't have to do the RV chores that come with it. One other thing. Of the major rental agencies, last Oct, only Thrifty and Avis prohibits their vehicles on ferries. And since renting in Oct, the rates have only gone up.

And a word about car rental.....a couple of years ago I discovered the Am EX car rental program. You have to register with A E. Once you do when you use the card for the rental, decline the rental agencies CDW, and Am Ex will automatically provide first dollar coverage that's primary, you don't have to involve your insurance carrier at all. The cost of the Am Ex coverage is $24.95 for the rental period, not to exceed 30 days. One week's rental per year and you've more than "paid" for the Am Ex annual fee. Most rental agencies CDW coverage is on the plus side of $25/day! Just a for-what-its worth.

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
68 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week car rental

Booked through hotwire off airport location. Cancelled and rebooked cheaper rate a total of 5 times. It sure pays to check rates daily saved over $200 by doing so. Good luck to you...

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week car rental

Spencer_8 - that is a good AmEx program if one only rents cars occasionally. AmEx also has a secondary CDW coverage with pretty much all of their credit cards for no additional charge other than the normal annual fee. That is the one I use, since I rent quite a few cars over the course of a year.

9. Re: 2 week car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:17