We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Carbon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

Is the Princess transfer the best way to go after disembarking in Whittier? Once we arrive in Anchorage not sure where to go and what to do with luggage? Don't fly out until9pm. Taking the plane tour of Mt. McKinley so not sure where to go tour co. Said it is our responsibility to arrange transportation.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

We are have the same situation, but we leave at 4:15. I am hoping you get some good advice. We might be on the same cruise ship?? And, I think we are going to book our own transportation from the cruise terminal to Anchorage. It will save some $$ to do it on your own.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 04:19
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

From what I remember your luggage is stored in an open area at the airport. Alaska Airlines policy is that they will not accept luggage beyond four hours flight time. For a 4.15 flight this limits what you can do. If it were me it would be a Princess tour that includes transfer to the airport. After spending big bucks on the cruise I wouldn't be worried about nickels and dimes. Of course many will disagree with my philosophy.

To add to my ranting exactly why do people want to fly back immediately following their cruise? It makes no sense. If you have time restrictions, then do a seven-day round trip cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

I disagree with k2iks - if someone only has 7 days and wants what usually is a better itinerary, why not take the one-way cruise and fly back that evening? My sister flew up from CA to Anchorage last June the night before our cruise, then we boarded a Princess ship the next day for a 7-night cruise. I had been in Alaska 10 days prior, but she flew in just for the cruise. Princess one-way southbound cruises have excellent itineraries and the price couldn't be beat. But I digress.

mom4u asked about the "best" transfer but there really is no "best." How many are there in your group? It sounds like more than one person since you said "our." Look into a one-way car rental with Avis, Magic Bus and the Princess transfer. Which flightseeing company are you using? Most likely they will keep your luggage for you during the flightseeing.

soccer37 - same question for you - Who is "we"? For you, I would highly recommend a one-way car rental with Avis. That will let you maximize your time. You can stop at the Portage Glacier (Begich Boggs) Visitor Center, the Wildlife Conservation Center, Girdwood, maybe gold panning, stopping for scenic views and photos, etc. If you take the 9am tunnel from Whittier, you have a good 5 hours to spend. The drive itself is only about 1 hour, so that gives you 4 hours to explore. VERY well worth it.

Glen Carbon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

Thanks so much for your input. There are 4 of us in our group. We decided to go with the Princess transfer. Told by TA that the transfer to the Civic Center was sold out (what???) but I contacted Princess directly and was told to go ahead with the transfer to the airport because it stops at Civic center first and we can get off and store our luggage anyway-. I sure hope they are right because we can't leave luggage at airport because its more than 6 hours prior to our flight We'll see what happens. husband has to go to work on Monday so we have to fly out asap. I would have preferred to stay a few days but not possible. And he'll have Sunday to recoup.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

I am not so sure about your plan. The "Civic Center" that you refer to is the Egan Center and I believe they close their luggage storage facilities sometime in the late afternoon - you might want to try and find out exactly when. Also, the info about "we can't leave luggage at airport because its more than 6 hours prior to our flight" is incorrect. You can not check in more than 4 hours before the flight with most airlines, but you can store luggage at the airport (two options) for a fee.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

fti - sort of agree with you if Hubbard Glacier is a must as the only way to see that is via the cross gulf cruises.But, the round trip cruises eliminate the need to fly back (if northbound). Personally, these round trip ones don't appeal to me. What do I do? A round trip airline ticket to Seattle to see Alaska. The southbound Princess trips are ideal as you get both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

mom4u - when we took the transfer a few years ago the bus stopped at the airport first before proceeding downtown to the center. As the bus traffic at the airport was backed up the driver gave a short tour around the area (I think the north terminal). If the first stop was downtown then to the airport no doubt he would be doing this as to proceed back to Whittier for another load

Glen Carbon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

I contacted Delta and sat on hold for 40 mins. And was advised that bags could not be checked in more than 6 hours prior to the flight. But that still does not help me. I also checked with Princess and was advised that this cruise transfer does not go to the Egan Center but to Dena'ina Center. The luggage must be picked up by either 5 or 6, will check.So I don't know if that makes a difference or not. So I will check with the ship when we board to see if we can get off at the Civic Center or look into storing luggage in a locker at the airport.

9. Re: Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and luggage storage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:16