We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salmon Fishing in July 2014

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salmon Fishing in July 2014

My husband, 12 year old son and I will be in Anchorage in mid July of next year. We are looking to do some salmon/halibut fishing for 1 or 2 days. Should we go to a fishing lodge or charter by the day. We will need fishing equipment. What is close to Anchorage and affordable?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

Pat at iFishAlaska has a pretty good reputation for salmon fishing in the rivers north of Anchorage: http://www.ifishalaska.com/

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

If you want to go halibut fishing, you're going to have to get a little ways from Anchorage. The closest would be Whittier which is only about an hour south, but you have to time your trip around when the tunnel into Whittier is open to cars. Other halibut options are Seward, and the Homer area. You can fish for salmon in all those places, too, but I've had better luck with salmon out of Seward and Whittier (well, my friends had good luck out of Whittier- I've not been there). I'd go with a couple charters over a lodge. No need for a lodge for a day or two- you can just stay at a B&B in the towns, though if you go to Whittier, I'd stay in Girdwood overnight.

There are also several places that do overnight fishing trips. It would save you a night's stay somewhere and often means you can get farther out for the fish.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

I would recommend the town of Seward for a fishing cruise which doubles as a sea life viewing cruise. Look for lodging with a grill!

sheffield
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

Hi just picked up on this post. katmai lodge in the Bristol Bay Area is great then and they will provide you with all the gear if you request it. You will get kings and sockeye and chum either on gear or on the fly- lots of them! They do a charter from anchorage. I have been twice from the uk and would dearly love to go again, funds permitting! regards and tight lines!

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

As suggested, halibut fishing will require travel either to Whittier or Seward (or further to Homer). You can set that up yourself easily.

As for salmon fishing, the rivers north of Anchorage should have fish then, but the king salmon runs throughout the region have been really poor the last couple years, and I've heard nothing to suggest 2014 is going to be much better.

A flyout, to Katmai as suggested, or other, closer locations is a great way to go, but expensive, especially to fly over to the Bristol Bay region.

You could go down on the Kenai Peninsula and fish reds, but you'd probably want to get a guide for that, both for equipment and expertise. If you want to keep some fish to take home it's a great option for that. Mid July is just a little early though, it all depends when the fish show up...the 20th of the month is a better bet if that's a possibility.

Another good option would be to do a combo halibut/salmon charter out of Seward. Or better yet a full day of each. Those are silver salmon, and they're fun to catch, and again, good if you want to take fish home.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

It is possible to fish for halibut from Ninilchik, which is not as far as Homer.

7. Re: Salmon Fishing in July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:18