We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

I'm looking for a clean, safe and reasonably-priced hotel for a one-night stay in Anchorage. Will be flying into the Anchorage airport and taking the train the following morning to Seward. I'd like to find a hotel near the train station - as the train departs early - but one that will provide shuttle service from the airport.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

That's actually asking a fair amount in Anchorage in the Summer- mainly that you want the shuttle *and* for the price to be reasonable (everyone has a different version of what that means to them). The Hilton downtown is close to the airport, but will run you around $240-300 a night.

However, the Anchorage Grand is a smidge closer to the train station than the Hilton and you could get a room there for $200 a night then grab a $20 at most cab ride from the airport. Our cabbies are good- I like them better than on other cities I've been to (NYC, Chicago, London, etc).

http://www.anchoragegrand.com

The Ship Creek Comfort Inn is also close to the railroad, offers a shuttle from the airport and is $229-$270/night. But I'd pick the Grand over it.

comfortinn.com/hotel-anchorage-alaska-AK006…

Anything else near the railroad, I wouldn't refer to as clean or safe by my standards.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

For the same reasons you are asking we chose the Grand Hotel. Arriving late at night and then leaving early by rail to Whittier. Seems to get very good reviews here.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

From the Comfort Inn (Ship Creek) you can walk to the railroad station. Hotels that provide free shuttles are mainly located nearer the airport. All hotels in Anchorage are expensive in the summer, and that Comfort Inn is no exception.

Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

Thank you for your suggestions. I did try the Grand and it was already booked. The Comfort Inn Ship Creek does provide shuttle service both from the airport and to the train station, so I decided to go with them.

5. Re: Hotels near Alaska Railroad Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:18