We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

Hi,

I have read that these 2 places are good vantage points to view Anchorage, Cook Inlet and surroundings.

I dont think I have time to go to both - so can you please let me know which offers a better view and why, offer better/less hiking involved?

Will have a rental car - are the roads up to both paved or gravel?

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

forgot to mention that the trip is in mid-july 2013, so snow/weather should not be an issue...

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

Are you going to hike at all? If so, I suggest Flattop because it is awesome hiking, but not necessarily easy. I did this for my first time two weeks ago and it was amazing.

This will show you views for Flattop although not from the parking lot.

…blogspot.com/2013/…

This will give you some insight to Arctic Valley. I think driving up here is easier than the hillside area, but that's JMHO. I think you will get easier views without hiking at Arctic Valley.

…blogspot.com/2012/…

Enjoy your vacation! Deb

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

hi Deb!

Thanks for your blogspot link. I am thinking we might probably not have a lot of time to hike. probably only maximum of 30 min-1h. so i dont think it's possible to do the flattop hike at all because it looks really tough!

so my question is, can you just see the view of anchorage right after you reach Arctic Valley without walking more than 15 min? how long is the drive from base to top and how long is the part that is unpaved?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

Head down the highway towards Eagle River and you turn off at Ft. Rich and drive up the road for about half an hour, could even be less for you to get view shots. I did that blog last summer when I was very new to blogging and was shocked at how few photos I used!

The road isn't bad at all but do observe the speed limits cause you will be on military land. There is lots of pavement heading up so it is not all dirt and bumpy. It would be awesome if you saw bears!!!! We have lived here since 1976 and I had only seen bears about 15 or so years ago until that drive. We go not get out enough in the summer cause we work too hard. Have a blast and enjoy this amazing weather!!! Deb

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

Sorry.....no walking needed at all. You will get great views just driving up the mountain abc plenty of easy parking for you to get photos. Wonderful views in my opinion. Deb

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

super, will be heading up to Arctic Valley then. thanks Deb!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

Have fun! It's nice when I can help in my own state of 50 years!!! Love Seattle BTW.....like a second home growing up. Grandparents lived there. Take care. Deb

8. Re: Flattop Mountain or Arctic Valley Road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 06:18