We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood market and prices

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seafood market and prices

Hi,

I will be in Anchorage later this month. Eating seafood is my top priority. We will have access to a kitchen during our stay. What should be our expectations when it comes to seafood prices at the grocery stores? Will they be consistently cheaper than the prices I see in the lower 48? My plan is to visit the Costco or Safeways downtown. I've heard great things about seafood markets like 10th and M Seafoods but based on the website prices, items are more expensive than the seafood department at my local Whole Foods.

Thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood market and prices

I don't know the store prices; but I always just get it at Costco. "It" being, salmon, halibut, king crab, scallops, cod, etc.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood market and prices

Just mind the labels- not all of the fish at Costco is local. Also, 'previously frozen' isn't the same thing as fresh.

New Sagaya will have good specials sometimes.

And depending on what days you're in town, some of the Farmer's Markets will occasionally have guys selling shrimp and scallops fresh at them. It's hit or miss, though, and not at the Downtown Market.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 22:33
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood market and prices

It all depends on if you want fresh fish or frozen........check the labeling to make sure it is wild Alaskan fish and not farmed fish from the East Coast or from Asia........that may be why you are paying the same for the fish you are purchasing in Whole Foods.......

Here in our tiny, coastal town, fresh salmon fillets are about $10 per pound, Fresh Halibut fillets are $18-20 per pound, dungeness $7 each and our local shrimp are $8-10 per pound (with shells, no heads)......... And if you find fresh Black Cod, it is wonderful and similar to halibut but often less expensive....

Are those prices similar to Achorage, Scottt ??......

I guess the real savings as a visitor Larry, is that you will have a kitchen......you will get a lot more for your food budget by cooking it yourself......

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood market and prices

You'll find the prices high.....but can you find the same thing at your grocery stores? We rarely have fresh or wild fish from Alaska here. Most is farm raised and definitely different in taste. I need to smother my seafood in sauces here whereas in Alaska I want it plain... Pouched, fried, broiled, steamed....maybe a little butter for crab legs. I fill up on Alaskan seafood every time I go, and just set my budget for it. High priced but oh, so worth it.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood market and prices

And please don't buy the really cheap salmon. I made that mistake, I think they call it chum. Ended up giving it to my dogs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood market and prices

Thanks for the great feed back. When I'm in Maine, I frequently see live lobster for $6/lb, while it's 50-100% more expensive once you get to the midwest. I was hoping for similar sort of savings in Alaska. But good point that the pricing I'm seeing is probably for previously frozen fish.

How much should I expect to spend for King crab legs per pound at the grocery store?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood market and prices

Mom bear..

Those are close to what I pay thru Costco.

Also:

King crab at Costco is usually about $20/lb.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood market and prices

Mombear...

Those are about the prices I'm used to paying at Costco. I love black cod.

Also...

King Crab at Costco is usually about. $20/lb.

9. Re: Seafood market and prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:19