We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

Hi,

My husband is thinking about getting on with an Oil Company in Anchorage. We currently live in Midland, Texas and hate the heat we are both winter, outdoors, active people. I am trying to find the best neighborhood to live and raise children in and what schools are good. Also, I would love to hear advice from people who have or currently live there on helping us on the decision to move there.

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

Just so you know, most moving to threads on tripadvisor are deleted because they are not travel related. Hopefully some Anchorage folks will post soon for you. There are also some communities not far from Anchorage where people live and commute in to Anchorage for work - like Eagle River, etc. Good luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River
Eagle River
Anchorage, AK
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

Yeah, if he's going to be on the slope for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, there's really no need for you to live in Anchorage unless you just want to. Eagle River and Chugiak are about a 20 minute drive to Anchorage and a 45 minute drive to the airport and have great school systems. They are suburbs and are right up against the Chugach range (as is east and south Anchorage) so it makes getting out on the trails quick and easy. Good cross country ski trails out in the area as well as in Anchorage itself.

I've found the dark harder to deal with than the cold as have many people that headed back south after a Winter or two.

But it's a very nice place to live- people are friendly and helpful and it's a smaller town attitude. Often because you will likely end up knowing the person you just cut off in traffic, or knowing someone who knows them. So people don't pull jerk moves as often as in some other places.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River
Eagle River
Anchorage, AK
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

A better forum for relocating questions would be the City Data Forum for Alaska:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

Thank you!! I appreciate you responding!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

We both want to move there for fun and think it would be a good place to settle down and have kids. I will look up those areas you mentioned thank you!

Being that we live in Midland and it was pretty tiny (100,000) people I saw there was a Costco and sushi in Anchorage so I am stoked!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

I vote for Chugiak/Eagle River, I spent 16 years there and really enjoyed the small town feel of the area. The school system is good and there are a variety of choices of types of schools.

Shines Sushi is great and you are only 30 minutes from Anchorage.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River
Eagle River
Anchorage, AK
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

I lived & taught 13 years in Anchorage & 1 year Eagle River. Ravenwood Elementary School in Eagle River is one of the best in the district that I have seen.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River
Eagle River
Anchorage, AK
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

I vote Anchorage (duh.. because I live here). I like being near everything that ANC has to offer.

We (wife & I) moved here from Sarasota, FL in 2005 (for the adventure). We left in 2009 to NM (another adventure). In 2011, we decided we'd only move one more time in our lives and it was not hard to decide on moving back to AK.

I work at the school district's administrative offices and my wife works at the native hospital. We live in east Anchorage about one mile from each of our jobs (it's very easy for us both to walk to work).

There's so much ANC/AK has to offer and lots of challenges too.

As mentioned above, this thread may get the boot; but feel free to message me on TA's email/messenger for more info..

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

Do you currently have children?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Anchorage - Need Advice

She did mention in post #5 - "think it would be a good place to settle down and have kids.", so I don't think they have kids yet. :)