We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

Hi,

We are a young adventurous couple who will be spending about 3-5 days in Anchorage in November. Our only interest is seeing wildlife; on top of the priority list is wolves. We are not restricted to staying in Anchorage.

Are there good opportunities for wildlife viewing in November? If so where?

Thanks for the feedback. !

Aventura, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

great post

Aventura, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

great po

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

The best places to see wildlife that time of year will be the Anchorage Zoo and the Wildlife Conservation Center south of Girdwood.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

We have lots of moose around Anchorage, seen in our parks and backyards. For a visitor, Kincaid park is a possibility. Also, a drive up to Glen Alps (parking $5) with binoculars and a walk up to the overlook & there is a chance of moose down below & even dall sheep across on the hills.

Another place to look for dall sheep is Windy Corner on the cliffs. A drive down Turnagain arm is beautiful anytime of the year, Look for eagles. However, be very, very careful parking in pull-outs only:

www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

I too am a wolf lover; however, living in Anchorage for 15 years & hiking/skiing/snowshoeing I never saw a wolf around there. However, there would be occasional reports in the local paper of wolf sightings up by the base. But your chances are pretty nil. I've seen plenty of wolves in Denali though, but only spending weeks in the park in the summer.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 12:06
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

Here's the link for the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center: http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

And here's the Alaska Zoo: http://alaskazoo.org/

If wolves are your main priority, you are probably going to be disappointed. I've lived in Alaska for 32 years and the only wolves I've seen are the two my dad trapped on Zarembo Island when I was a kid and last year in Denali National Park in September.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

I've only seen a wolf twice and both times were in Denali Nat'l Park and the wolf was actually "jogging" alongside my car on the park road between the visitor center and Savage Creek turnaround.

7. Re: Wildlife; Anchorage in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:17