We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

harassment at Thrifty

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
K R
Orange Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
harassment at Thrifty

Having spent an entire day traveling, i went to the Thrifty counter in Achorage at the airport per my reservation.. They ran my card and it was denied due to the $250 deposit amount that they hold. This, in turn caused my other card to be denied due to the security system at my bank since I was out of state and my other card had just been tried at the same place. I was, indeed, frustrated. I asked to speak with the manager (Tiffany) who came down with an attitude already in hand. I explained the situation and asked if it was policy for the counter attendant to review the $250 policy prior to running the credit card. She refused to answer and as I was checking my debit card balance to see if I could use that one, she told me that they were now refusing to rent me a car at all. So, I quietly stood there with my large suitcase, my purse and my two carry ons to look up to see if there was a hotel shuttle from the airport. As I stood there for those 2 minutes, she must have felt that she hadn't harassed me enough (it was late in the evening and no customers were around at any of the counters other than one person who was being helped by the other agent). She then told me that I was not allowed to stand there since they were not renting me a car and that I needed to move back 5 feet. She told me that if I didnt leave immediately, she would call security. This was as she was picking up the phone and about to dial. Wow. How combative! What on Earth had gotten into her? She seemed to be showing off, possibly in front of the young man with her behind the counter. I have no idea. I have never seen such a display of complete disrespect and harassment in my entire life.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: harassment at Thrifty

Welcome to the forum KR

I don't understand why you say you were out of state, when you seem to be from Anchorage.....and if so, why would you be renting a car ?.......Sorry for your bad experience, but it just does not seem to ring true to me.....

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,319 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: harassment at Thrifty

I too am sorry for the bad experience. When was your trip? A customer, even being denied service, should never be treated rudely.

The car rental company did everything all car rental companies do. They take your credit card and "run it" to secure funds towards the rental. This is normal. It sounds as if you used two credit cards that were both rejected for lack of available funds. In using a debit card many car rental companies (those that take a debit card), will secure even more money against your bank account and also perform a credit check.

Did you call your bank to get the cards "unlocked"?

Once the car company told you they were not renting to you (which is not disrespectful or harassment), you should have left their facility/area. If you did not leave my place of business when I asked you to, I too would call security/police (this too is neither disrespectful or harassment).

I too am feeling there's more to this story.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: harassment at Thrifty

I too am confused about "out of state", just joining today to post a big rant, not being familiar with car rental company policies regarding debit cards and more. Lots of red flags regarding this post.

Plus, if you look at Thrifty's rental information, you can't use a debit card if you are a resident of Anchorage, Eagle River, Wasilla, Palmer and surrounding area. Also, when using a debit card, Thrifty is authorized to swipe a $500 authorization from your card ($250 is for credit cards).

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: harassment at Thrifty

Notice that this is the first post ever from this guy, which sounds like a vendetta or something. It sounds fishy to me

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: harassment at Thrifty

It seems fishy to me too. I would love to hear Tiffany's side of this story.

-JimG

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: harassment at Thrifty

wondering if this is a disgruntled ex-employee? No mention of contacting Thrifty regarding this alleged treatment.

7. Re: harassment at Thrifty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:20