We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Hour Lay Over

Arlington, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
14 Hour Lay Over

We have a 14 hour lay over between disembarkation from cruise ship and flight home. Any suggestions i.e. storage of luggage and tours that pick you up at airport or hotel @ airport?

Alaska Tour and Travel Day Tours
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Rail Tours
Planet Earth Adventures
Photography Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ascending Path
Eco Tours, Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you read the sticky about First Time Posters since we really need a lot more info in order to help you. Things like who is "we", where does you cruise arrive into, what are your interests and more.

Having the date of your arrival and the departure time of your flight will also help. The more info the better.

Thanks!

Edited: 21 November 2013, 22:14
Arlington, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

My husband and I will arrive in Anchorage on June 1st after a 7 day cruise. We have a 14 day lay over in Anchorage before our flight home.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

Please, read your itinerary. Are you absolutely sure you will arrive into Anchorage? If I were a betting man, I would say NO. You still didn't read the First Time Posters thread or answer all my questions. Interests is one. Flight departure time is another. So many unanswered questions - really.

Also, it just went from a 14 hour layover to a 14 day layover????

Please slow down and take your time. It will be faster in the long run :-)

Edited: 21 November 2013, 23:50
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

Fti's questions for you are very important,,,,

It is unlikely your cruise disembarks in Anchorage (only 2 or 3 per year do so). It is most likely you cruise end in Seward Orr Whittier.

Actual times are very significant too. That's why he/we ask.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 14:41
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

Some cruise lines offer a post-shore excursion that drops you off at the airport. I doubt there are any that fill that long of a period (within 14 hours). As for 14 days I wouldn't consider that a layover.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

Mcgeep obviously meant, as stated in the title & first post, a 14 hour layover!

Mcgeep, are you willing to obtain a rental car for better mobility during your layover?

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

HI McGeep:

I'm a resident of Anchorage and in full disclosure, I work on staff at Visit Anchorage.

If you are on a Princess or Norwegian Cruise Line Cruise, you will arrive into the port of Whittier, 90 minutes south of Anchorage. If you're arriving on Holland America, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, you will arrive in Seward, 2.5 hours south of the city.

Regardless, your first decision will be to decide how to get to Anchorage you have at least 3 options: 1) a large group transfer offered by your ship via rail or bus, 2) a small group transfer offered by a local company - there are many options or 3) a rental car from the port.

From either port, there is a LOT to see and do en route to downtown. If you can arrange for a tour/transfer combo - highlights usually include either Portage Glacier, Begich Boggs Visitor Center, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and/or the Alyeska Tram at Alyeska Resort. All are worthy stops.

Once you get to the city, downtown is 5 miles from the airport. I'd strongly recommend you don't take a transfer that drops you at the airport more than 2 hours before your flight. It would be easier to stash your luggage downtown and spend the day in the city.

Options downtown include our amazing museum, the very popular Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Ulu Factory, Alaska Zoo or hiking on Flattop Mountain - each of these are accessible by trolleys that depart from 4th Ave and F St near the log cabin visitor information center. You can also rent bikes or walk the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail - the scenic trail is paved and flat.

If you want one last excursion, we have great flightseeing to Denali National Park or shorter trips over the glaciers of the Chugach Mountain.

Food options abound downtown. Perhaps your last Wild Alaska Seafood dinner before returning home? There are dozens of choices and TripAdvisor.com can certainly help.

For more help from our volunteers at Visit Anchorage, check out our downtown visitor center upon arrival, or www.anchorage.net the official Anchorage visitor website.

Welcome!

8. Re: 14 Hour Lay Over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17