We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Longmeadow, MA
Level Contributor
82 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Is anyone familiar with the airlines' practices around setting their summer schedules for Anchorage? I'm wondering if the airlines haven't yet set their full schedules for peak season/August. I'm looking at flights from New England to Anchorage, and there are fewer flights in and out, and mostly late night departures out of Anchorage as compared to prior years. I know flight schedules & prices are generally less than they used to be, but trying to decide if this is as good as it gets for options or if we should wait a while. Thanks.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

I usually find that the early (6:45am) Alaska Airlines flight from Logan to Anchorage is priced well and gets you to Anchorage at a decent hour. I have never flown anything but red eye from Anchorage to the east coast. I find the expense of the daytime flights just not worth it. I do think they add more flights as needed. You will find more choices and better prices from Logan than you will from Bradley.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Probably as good as it gets. In the past there have been LOTS of late night flights out of Anchorage so that is nothing new.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Prior to switching over to an Alaska Airlines VISA we used American Airlines credit card to accumulate air miles. So when I started looking for flights their policy was something like not more than 329 days in advance, so no problem for August 2014 since is less than the 329-day thing. I know that Alaska Airlines (#139 I think) that leaves Chicago O'Hare around 9 or 10 in the morning for a non-stop flight into Achorage that arrives early in the afternoon. I'm not familiar with those to and from New England. Personally, those late night departures from Anchorage can be appealing as not wasting your days way up in the air where you can't really see anything anyway.

North of Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Hi needtotravel; we've been to Alaska three times and are going back in June. We like the American Airlines flight that leaves at 11:30pm and gets to Chicago (O'Hare) about 8am. I think there's a 9-something flight, but we take the 10am flight as it gives us time to freshen up and have breakfast. Then it's a "quick" 2-hour ride to Logan.

We get a full last day in Alaska; we watch the sun set as we take off; we get a few hours sleep on the plane; and we're home the next afternoon.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

American discontinued its ORD-ANC flight a couple of years ago; they now just codeshare on Alaska's nonstop.

For the OP, no, not all summer schedules have been released.

The redeye departures from ANC are intended to allow people connecting east of the Mississippi to get home on the same day - the time change plus minimum connection times limits the number of eastern cities one can reach on the same day unless one leaves Alaska in the wee hours.

Longmeadow, MA
Level Contributor
82 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Thanks, All. There used to be a 6am flight out of ANC on Sundays (Delta?) that would get us back to Hartford around midnight that same day, but the connections and options don't work for that at the moment. We may just bite the bullet and work with what's out there before the cruise passengers take all of teh seats.

boston
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

I booked a 9:30 pm flight out of Anchorage to Logan that got me home at 10am the next morning. Seemed like the best connection I could find. Best part--it only cost $264.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Alaska Air is having a nice sale right now, I just purchased RT from BOS--->ANC for $520. I booked for the 10 days around the Denali road lottery weekend.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 20:01
Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
449 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

Are you sure you'll be driving the road lottery? We were lucky to get a lottery ticket last year, but I know that thousands applied and only four hundred a day were given out. We didn't book until we were sure we'd have a lottery ticket, and that made for some late planning.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August 2014 flight schedules for Anchorage

I have made flight plans for the Road Lottery the past three years well before I knew the results of the Road Lottery applications. Each year I secured a permit. In fact, this past September between friends and myself applying, we got more than one permit. But then we had quite a few of us who ended up meeting there this year.

Even if we didn't get a permit, we were willing to spend time in Alaska. I had been in/near Denali for 8 nights before the Road Lottery. The Road Lottery ended up being an added bonus for us.