We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

Indianapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

We're flying in to Anchorage very late June 28th and setting out for a short RV trip on 29th. Myself, my wife, and our seven year old are all Alaska newbies so I'd love for some guidance on my current draft:

June 29th: Drive to Seward. Do Glacier Boat Tour and Dinner. Overnight

June 30th: Stay in Seward. Exit Glacier, maybe try to tackle Harding Ice Field.

July 1st: Drive to Homer. Hopefully get good weather and do a floatplane tour.

July 2nd: Drive to Girdwood. Gold mining, tram maybe, stay there.

July 3rd: Drive back to Anchorage, return RV, and fly home.

It's a fairly short trip but I want to get the most out of it. Does that seem like a good hit list for the Peninsula on a short trip? Thank you!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

It is short; but anytime in AK is good time.

Your plan is doable; but I think your not allowing enough time in Homer to do it justice. I think for this trip you'd be better in dropping it (maybe on your drive back from Seward, head into the Russian River campground and hike/walk into the falls).

Here's a link to a post with lots of stuff/options in the Portage/Girdwood/Whittier area: http://goo.gl/lSnN2

Good luck,

Scott

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

I would skip Homer. You'll spend more time driving there than it's worth with your short time. You can do a small plane ride out of Anchorage with Rust's Flying Service. And the cruise out of Seward is more of a wildlife cruise than a glacier cruise. The glaciers cruises are the ones out of Whittier.

And Seward gets packed out for July 4th, so whatever you do with your itinerary, keep Seward at the front to avoid the masses that will be there later in the week.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

Since you are RV'g you have the flexibility to change plans at a moments notice. If you enjoy scenic driving, going to Homer will be fine but the drive DOES cut into time for activities. When you leave Seward you'll probably stop at Cooper Landing then after Soldotna there are several beach accesses to visit plus the Orthodox church in Ninilchik and other viewpoints. So it won't be a quick drive to Homer ! The drive back to Girdwood will take about 3 hrs so even with a few stops you'll have time for gold panning and don't forget the Wildlife Conservation Center.

If you skip Homer, I think there is flightseeing out of Seward or Moose Pass. Mountain Air, maybe. Check the Seward web site for a listing.

Indianapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

Hmm, thank you all for the quick replies. The reason I originally put Homer in the plans was to make a run at a float plane tour. My son is in love with float planes and this seemed like a perfect setup. I had a hard time finding anything with float planes other than Homer. I guess I'll go do some more digging around for options there. If I dropped Homer, would you recommend another night in Girdwood or staying in Soldotna or Russian River as mentioned above? ... i was looking at staying at Williwaw on the Girdwood night

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

Rusts Flying Service on Lake Hood in Anchorage has a wide variety of float plane tours, and is a very reliable organization.......there is also an air museum right near Rusts that your son might be interested in.......

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

Good that you are thinking of Williwaw campground. Reservations are recommended that holiday week since Girdwood has the forest fair & Seward mt marathon run.

When does your flight leave on 3rd? Perhaps you could do Lk Hood flight & museum then, staying Williwaw July 1 & 2. Maybe even a glacier cruise out of Whittier from there or hike the trail of blue ice & then to glacier or Portage...

Edited: 20 December 2013, 21:19
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

I'm going to repeat/support a couple things others have mentioned:

- Rusts for possibly satisfying the "float plane" trip

- the air museum at Anchorage airport

- the Williwaw campgrounds at/near Portage for a night or 2

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

There are at least 3 floatplane outfits in Soldotna; Talon, High Adventure, and AlaskawestAir. While all 3 cater to fishermen, they also all offer flightseeing and bear viewing tours. I guess I'd rather do a flight on the KP than out of Anchorage.

Indianapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

This is an awesome forum, thank you all for the help. It seems to make more and more sense to skip Homer this time around. So now my debate is what to do with the extra night freed up.

Here are my thoughts. After spending two nights in Seward, head up to Williwaw and spend two nights there. Between the two is Scenic Mountain Air which should give us a shot at a float plane and is only an hour back from Williwaw if we have to go back the next day due to weather. Does two nights in WIlliwaw make sense or should I spend a night at Russian River or Soldotna inbetween those two? If it matters at all, we are RV newbies too. Down here we camp in our popup but never in an RV or dry camping.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short RV Trip to Kenai Peninsula

Don't sweat the RV newbie-ness...they have the rental units set up pretty well for novices.

If you're not going to Homer, I wouldn't bother with Soldotna either...the scenery past Cooper Landing isn't all that hot till you turn the corner in Soldotna and head along the coast to Homer.

I would go to the Cooper Landing/Russian River area; it isn't that far from Seward and it's one of the most scenic areas of the KP. Spend a day/night there...hike to the falls perhaps, see the Kenai river, do a short scenic raft trip maybe, lots to do around there.