We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

Hi, we will be in Alaska for a cruise trip in June. We stop at Jenau, Skagway & Ketichan with a few extra days for Anchorage.

When we travel, we love to try the local cuisine. Apart from crab and salmon, is there anything else that is essential for us to try that is 'Alaskan'? I saw that there are reindeer hotdogs in Sitka but we don't port there. Also, not sure if whale is available to tourists?

I noticed Tracy's King Crab Shack in Jenau was very popular but I was shocked at the price. Is this correct or is this place a tourist trap? - i.e. 1x large Alaskan Bering Sea Red King Crab LEG only (10-12 oz) = $24. Is this the most famous crab shack in Alaska?

By the way, I'm curious - is Alaska bombe (the dessert) really Alaskan?

With thanks :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

That price sounds about right for The King Crab. You can find reindeer dogs just about anywhere you go, I like them but they are not all reindeer they have beef and maybe pork in them too. I have no idea what an Alaska Bombe is but when I googled it I found that it is Baked Alaska. I don't think it is particularly Alaskan, I think it was named that because of the ice cream. and when it was first created Alaska had just become a state.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

We pay basicly the same price for King Crab as eveyone else outside. An exception may be Dutch Harbor where we spent a few days early last season, where it was inexpensive. Baked Alaska is a cruise ship thing.

We are presently in very cold Wisconsin (far colder than Alaaska) and noticed King Crab in local super market and if remember it was under $10 per pound (maybe more as that doesn't sound right)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

I think Pick~n~Save here in Wisconsin is selling (on sale) the crab legs for $9.99/lb. They are often the broken "pieces" however.

And K2 . . . thanks for bringing the polar vortex to us! (You need to get out and try to see the snowy owls that are all around the state. If you're interested, send me a PM for areas to look.)

Edited: 08 January 2014, 17:57
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

I just had some Red King Crab delivered to me and there is no comparison to what I can find in the supermarket around here. The legs are huge 12-14 oz a piece and the taste was wonderful. I still have about 5ibs of Whittier Shrimp in my freezer that I need to eat, the fresh shrimp is very good also.

Let's say you are getting the large legs and the market price is $12lb that would mean a dinner with markups could cost $24 so not that unreasonable, hey I have paid that much for a hamburger in the Bush.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

beryl_be, you should be able to get reindeer sausage with your breakfasts at numerous spots with your couple days in Anchorage.

Gwennies for sure which has lots of alaskana too along with breakfasts:

http://gwenniesrestaurant.com

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

I did a small boat glacier cruise this summer out of Whittier, the boat captain gave us 5 lbs of Whittier shrimp at the end of the cruise. They were fantastic on the grill.

I've never had (or seen it on a menu) Alaska Bombe (baked Alaska) while living up here.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

If you really want Alaskan food, get incredibly friendly with an Alaska Native from southeast, which would be someone who is Tlingit. Then see if you can get them to share their stink eggs. They put hemlock branches in the water when the herring are spawning. After the branches are covered in herring eggs, they place them in a bentwood box and then bury them for a few months to ferment. Take 'em out and eat with Sailor Boy pilot bread crackers. Oh, and speaking of pilot bread, they are popular for dipping in seal oil.

Full disclaimer: I've never eaten stink eggs or seal oil. But growing up in Hoonah I saw them eaten a lot. And given a choice between eating them and starvation, I'll take the starvation. They call them "stink eggs" for a reason...

Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

Similar to the salmon heads that get buried to give the flavors time to meld.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

Thank you for the replies, I will certainly be checking out all the suggested foods, even the stink egg if I'm lucky enough! (I'm thinking it would smell like the South East Asian fruit, the durian. Apparently it smells like old gym socks. Not sure how that makes food more enticing though... ) Stay Healthy, BB

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Must Try' Alaskan Cuisine - crab, salmon - what others pls?

Forgot to ask, do you have a website like urbanspoon that local Alaskans use to review local restaurants? Thank you.